LaunchBox Community Forums

Playing on 4K tv

superlollo

Hello everyone!

First of all I love launchbox, it made me love video games again. Such a beautiful front end.

i'm having the following problem: when I play on my laptop (2.9ghz i5) I'm having no problems  whatsoever on most emulators. But when I plug in my laptop to my 4K tv via hdmi I get huge frame rate drops and I have to turn threaded video on in retro arch to achieve 60fps. I'm guessing it's because the video card is now outputting a 4K signal which is much more demanding hardware wise.

is there any way to fix this? I'm using win 10 and I already tried setting the resolution to 1080p but the tv is still displaying 2160p

thanks!

RetroArch is having issues with 4k if I recall, and it seems they may not have fixed them. I don't remember the fix for this, if there was one, but maybe @lordmonkus or @Zombeaver knows. It is true though, now your laptop is pushing out to two screens, and one of them being 4k.  Do you have a GPU or is it integrated graphics? If it's integrated, then the CPU is doing two jobs, the job of the GPU and the job of the CPU.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SentaiBrad said:

RetroArch is having issues with 4k if I recall, and it seems they may not have fixed them. I don't remember the fix for this, if there was one, but maybe @lordmonkus or @Zombeaver knows. It is true though, now your laptop is pushing out to two screens, and one of them being 4k.  Do you have a GPU or is it integrated graphics? If it's integrated, then the CPU is doing two jobs, the job of the GPU and the job of the CPU.

It has integrated iris 5100 graphics but I'm outputting only to the 4K tv, laptop monitor is off. 

Even the laptop monitor has more pixels than 1080p (it's a retina MacBook Pro) but it runs everything fine, even ps1, sega model 3, dreamcast, n64 etc...that is until I plug it into my 4K tv and I can't even get 60 fps on genesis and snes games without threaded video 

4 hours ago, Charco said:

Maybe have a look at the monitor refresh rate on your tv with the laptop connected.

How do I do this? Sorry but I'm not really too tech savvy hahaha! The tv is a Samsung js8500. Do I have to check through retroarch or through the tv menu?

4 hours ago, lordmonkus said:

There are known issues with 4K TVs according to posts on their forums. Some of the fixes that I have seen posted is to either turn Hard GPU Sync "Off" or to set the Hard GPU Sync Frames to "1". Setting the Sync Frames to 1 is the preferred  option of the 2 so try that one first and see if it fixes it for you.

Already tried both options, didn't work! On snes games I go from 60 fps to < 30 fps when connected to the tv, it's ridiculous. Threaded video adds too much input lag, it's unplayable 

thanks to to both of you for your help

3 hours ago, superlollo said:

How do I do this? Sorry but I'm not really too tech savvy hahaha! The tv is a Samsung js8500. Do I have to check through retroarch or through the tv menu?

With your laptop connected to the tv via HDMI, right click on your desktop and choose Screen Resolution:

Ensure your screen resolution is set to 1920x1080:

Then go to Advanced Settings, click the Monitor tab, and make sure your refresh rate is set at 60hz:

If you are still having issues I would go through your RetroArch settings and set them up like Lordmonkus has outlined in his tutorial here:

Edited by Charco
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Charco said:

With your laptop connected to the tv via HDMI, right click on your desktop and choose Screen Resolution:

Ensure your screen resolution is set to 1920x1080:

Then go to Advanced Settings, click the Monitor tab, and make sure your refresh rate is set at 60hz:

If you are still having issues I would go through your RetroArch settings and set them up like Lordmonkus has outlined in his tutorial here:

Refresh rate was the problem! I couldn't set it to 60p (black screen) but 59p worked wonders and now I'm back to 60 fps without threaded video!!!

thanks a lot mate, everyone was really helpful! 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...