LaunchBox Community Forums

Kodi Addon UAC Annoyance!

dmn1981

Hi All,

I had the LB and BB addon configured with Kodi a few months back, and I had to elevate the privileges on LB and BB using Winaero Tweaker, which creates a shortcut which I pointed the addon to as the location.

I've installed a fresh install of Kodi (16.1), and installed the addon again. However, when configuring the settings and entering the location of BB in the addon, it only gives me the option to select an executable, ie. Bigbox.exe.

This means each time I launch BB through Kodi, I get the UAC prompt to approve the application to open. I'm not going to reduce the UAC settings, as it's there as a security feature in windows.

I've tried setting the application to always run as administrator, but that doesn't seem to work.

is there a way to set the location of BB in the Addon settings, that allows you to select a file that isn't an executable? So using Winaero Tweaker, it creates a shortcut of BB, which is a .Ink file.

Any help here would be appreciated, without disabling the UAC feature!.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Admittedly, I had to read your issue twice and I misconstrued all of the details. Working around UAC for a specific application is fairly easy using task scheduler and a custom link. However, so that i understand, since you are using Kodi it will only accept an executable when setting the path? Also, is this the addon you are referring to? 

Edited by Zeromod

That is correct. I'm using Winaero Tweaker rather than task scheduler, which effectively does the same thing. It creates a shortcut of the .exe file and elevates the privilege

I'm using the Bigbox Addon, which I assume is the same as I used last time, unless this is an addon developed by another dev?

In the settings for the path to the Bigbox location, I can only select an executable file, therefore and elevated shortcut can't be used.

What's the link to the official Launchbox/Bigbox Kodi Addon, and I'll double check what I've got..

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

There is not an "official" addon that is endorsed by Unbroken Software that I am aware of. The software I linked is user created and shared on this forum. It seems to be based upon the Steam launcher addon for Kodi and is written in Python. I can't tell you which addon you installed though. If that is the addon you are using, I would suggest clicking the support button on that link and asking the contributor if he/she can assist you. 

• 5 years later...

This seems like the place for this question. A TeknoParrot  game requires elevated permission and I want to use a task schedule link to run the .exe, but what parameter should I use in the .lnk file to pass the romfile from LaunchBox? Thanks in advance.

20 minutes ago, Syllius said:

A TeknoParrot  game requires elevated permission

I would first try to run it without elevated rights. Open your game 's corresponding .xml file located in the TeknoParrot\UserProfiles folder with a text editor. Look for the line:

<RequiresAdmin>true</RequiresAdmin>

and change it to:

<RequiresAdmin>false</RequiresAdmin>