LaunchBox Community Forums

Button 2 exits game while using Steam Link/Big Box

rampantlemming

Hey everyone, first time poster and just grabbed my Premium license. Really enjoying Big Box so far.

Anyway my issue is that for some reason while running Big Box through a Steam Link, anytime I press Button 2 (the B button or Circle button depending on which controller you're using) it exits the game. So far I've only tried PCSX2 so I'm not sure if this is localised to that emulator or not but googling revealed a thread in which someone was having the same problem across all emulators (annoyingly no solution was posed). My guess is that some config isn't reading the inputs right or something? So that when in-game Big Box is acting as if there isn't a game running or something (I could be talking utter nonsense though).

Any help would be appreciated as this is driving me up the wall and would love to be able to use Big Box on the couch. Thanks.

Edit: I do not appear to have the same problem with a SNES emulator, so in some way this is localised to PCSX2

Edit 2: Similar issue occurs in Dolphin, so there appears to be some commonality between that and PCSX2

Edited by rampantlemming

What is that button mapped to do? I would say you might have controller automation enabled and that button set, but if it's only happening on two emulators and not all three you tested, then that can't be it. I'll post this to our Discord group. Several people just picked up Steam links on sale recently, and they might have some more concrete information for you.

The button is mapped to Back. Controller automation is definitely off (at least from what I can see in the Big Box UI). Also just to re-iterate this doesn't happen when I'm just running Big Box on my computer normally, it's only if I'm streaming through to the Steam Link.

Thanks for the quick response though! Hopefully someone more familiar with this than me has an idea of what's going on!

maybe you should go into the steam streaming big picture controller settings and see if anything looks wrong there. for me, i'm using xbox 360 controller, but all the mappings worked fine for me out of box. i used the default streaming big pic controller mappings. pcsx2 seems to be working ok for me, although i have other issues with Bigbox and steam link streaming.

I forgot to mention that I'm using a PS4 controller, so maybe I'll give it a go with an Xbox controller and see what happens. I had other issues with streaming and Big Box but turning off the Steam Overlay and turning off the configuration settings seemed to help.

Edit: After trying out an Xbox One controller the problem still persists so I don't think it has anything to do with it being a PS4 controller. My take on it is that it's the way Steam/Big Box is interfacing with PCSX2 and Dolphin (since they don't have controller friendly interfaces like Retroarch does) but that is mostly a guess.

Edited by rampantlemming

For PCSX2 you need to disable the console window. It's in Misc -> Show Console. It's on by default but needs to be disabled in order to use PCSX2 via Steam Link.

58b2e4c50a1c6_PCSX2-ShowConsole.png.152df1aea250672192c07699da60e4b3.pngI don't remember having to do anything particularly special with Dolphin. Turning off the Steam overlay is a good idea though as you seem to have already discovered.

A couple of super old threads I made on the Steam Link forums:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/353380/discussions/0/485623406943314193/

http://steamcommunity.com/app/353380/discussions/0/485622866440318860/

When it comes to configuring the Steam Link itself the information there isn't really accurate because it's changed completely. Anything pertaining to configuring the actual emulators is still relevant though.

Got it working!

I already had the console window disabled, but it turns out the problem was Steams desktop controller configuration as indicated in your first link Zombeaver. After switching that to typical controller bindings everything works perfectly! Now all I have to figure out is a controller binding that will actually exit the game but not get in the way of playing it.

Thanks a bunch to Zombeaver and everyone else for helping me out with this!

Just now, rampantlemming said:

Got it working!

I already had the console window disabled, but it turns out the problem was Steams desktop controller configuration as indicated in your first link Zombeaver. After switching that to typical controller bindings everything works perfectly! Now all I have to figure out is a controller binding that will actually exit the game but not get in the way of playing it.

Thanks a bunch to Zombeaver and everyone else for helping me out with this!

No problem!

As far as closing, LB's controller automation close function works fine with PCSX2.

58b3631cef672_ControllerAutomationClose.thumb.png.f7619399d4fdb041c5bbe033b81d6027.png

There seems to be a bug with Controller Automation that crashes Big Box when closing from PCSX2, but there are other threads dedicated to that issue it seems. I have a little wireless keyboard in the loungeroom for Steam Link/HTPC things anyway so its not a huge issue to just close games using that until a fix is found anyway.

Ahhhh, I was just using the defaults. Fullscreen parameter was there but not nogui. Appears to be working properly now. Thanks!

Edit: Actually I spoke too soon. Still happens but only occasionally? Very strange. Annoyingly also leaves an invisible Big Box background process when it happens so makes it more annoying to relaunch.

Edited by rampantlemming

--nogui fixed it for me with pcsx2, but i never had that in the past and it used to work without that.

the only emulator i can't get to work now with the more recent BB, even when removing the ahk scripts, is Demul. keyboard escape key works fine but controller automation throws to desktop with a zombie bigbox.exe process still running that you have to kill.

in one of the many threads around this recent issue, Jason said he is aware and has it on his todo list.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

hi i dont not if this is still relevant to you i had the same issue with LaunchBox/BigBox on an arcade machine. i want to us an Xbox controller for PSP, PS2, N64 and GameCube and as 3rd and 4th players on MAME games. when setting the emulators everything was great, but on LaunchBox when i press A and B together the game exits regardless of the emulator which drove me mad. and disabling the option "use all attached controllers" from LaunchBox was still exiting the games. i FIXED it by disabling the option "use all attached controllers" from LaunchBox and BigBox separately as BigBox does not sync with LaunchBox on this option.

and i enabled only the 1st player arcade controller to exit using Automation HotKey.