LaunchBox Community Forums

MAME not working anymore with Steam Link

Malhavoc

I used to play Launchbox on my TV through Steam Link, in order to play MAME games. Everything worked fine, until recently: mame now crashes as I start a game. But only on steam link: when launching it from my PC, it works. So I thought it was an issue with Steam or some updated NVIDIA drivers: I rolled back to older NVIDIA drivers, switched to older steam too, but it keeps crashing.

And then I realized that it's actually not working anymore since the last Launchbox patch I've downloaded! But I've tried rolling back this too, and it still doesn't work..

So, it's not actually a Launchbox issue, but since it's not working only when using it with Launchbox (and it WAS working until now), I hope someone else here is having the same issue, or some tips about it, in order to sort this out..

Edited by Malhavoc

Ok, I've found the issue, and posting this for whoever may have the same problem. I had to edit mame.ini file and set the "joystickprovider" entry from "auto" to "xinput". This is something I've read was needed long ago, but my system worked with auto too (probably by selecting xinput on its own). Now, for whatever reason, it started requiring me to set it explicitly.

• Like 2

@Malhavoc , thanks soooooo much!! you are the man!! i have been struggling with mame crashing through my new steam link since i got the link. i just tried this and MAME finally works now through steam link! nice job!

now i just need to figure out why all my audio turns off for everything in MAME and everywhere else in steam link once i launch a mame game. maybe it's related to the new mame audio settings - ill have to try setting them back.

@ckp Maybe I can tell you that thing about sound too.. have you switched to this new settings for MAME audio recently?

..unfortunately, this audio settings doesn't work with Steam Link, and makes everything silent.. try switching to the default one

EDIT: ok, seems like you've found my other post on your own ;)

Edited by Malhavoc

i'm having one other steam link issue. when i play ps2 games with pcsx2, it throws me back to the steam big picture when pressing my xbox 360 B button? doesn't happen in other emulators and game or in Bigbox without steam link streaming. any idea?

I don't use pcsx2, so can't really help you this time ;)

However, just out of my experience with the overall launchbox-steamlink setup, I could take some guesses.. when you say it brings you back to steam big picture, do you mean that psx2 crashes, or that it just puts steam big picture in front of everything? If it's the latter, is it the same as pressing the big central "X" on your xbox controller? Keep in mind that steam big picture has some way to be brought back to the front.. maybe pcsx2 is binding the buttons in a messy way?

Also keep in mind that Steam Link has some serious issues with many "old" games/emulators, and everything running in a window (especially if you want a joypad to work in it). MAME and retroarch are two of the few MAME emulators I could run with it (MAMEUI or other mame variants just did not work or could not detect the controller). 

EDIT; from a quick look at steamlink forums, I've noticed that many people are actually using pcsx2, so it must work. I suggest you to go to their forum and ask :)

Edited by Malhavoc

• 11 months later...
On 26/2/2017 at 11:02 PM, Malhavoc said:

Ok, I've found the issue, and posting this for whoever may have the same problem. I had to edit mame.ini file and set the "joystickprovider" entry from "auto" to "xinput". This is something I've read was needed long ago, but my system worked with auto too (probably by selecting xinput on its own). Now, for whatever reason, it started requiring me to set it explicitly.

You know that I love U, isnt you?.Lol, thank you very much, now its working perfect for me.Im happy :)

• 3 years later...
On 2/26/2017 at 11:02 PM, Malhavoc said:

Thank you, I'll give it a try. The same is happening to me with the FlyCast and Dolphin throws the next log information:

[INFO] [Core]: Content ran for a total of: 00 hours, 00 minutes, 00 seconds.
[INFO] [Core]: Unloading core..
[INFO] [Core]: Unloading core symbols..
[INFO] [Video]: Average monitor Hz: 59.694365 Hz. (18.321 % frame time deviation, based on 2048 last samples).
[INFO] [Video]: Average monitor Hz: 59.694365 Hz. (18.321 % frame time deviation, based on 2048 last samples).

Working fine directly on my PC but closes the core just after launch it on Steam Link. Weird.

EDIT: Checked, core (Dolphin, FlyCast) closes before start the game only If I'm using my Xiaomi Gamepad an Android controller (the virtual onscreen Android controller too).

Edited by JuRaSSiCBoY