LaunchBox Community Forums

MAME, Retroarch, & Working Out The Kinks.

poisongoomba

Hey guys.

I am stuck on MAME.

I have tried Retroarch's MAME core, MAME2016 core, and FBAlpha. It seems like most older games run just fine. But if I run something like any MK game, or any CPS game, retroarch just begins to load the game - crashes, and I have to exit to desktop.

I don't think I have added any special BIOS files to the system folder, and I don't think I have any CHDs... but do I need them? I didn't think I did... Is Retroarch just not all that good at MAME?

MAME64's input config and other things kind of irk me so I was hoping to streamline with Retroarch.

I'm just going for a "best of" 300 or so roms - I am not looking for a perfect setup, but would definitely like all my favorites to work.

Does anyone else have the MAME Retroarch core running smooth?

How old are you ROM files the cps2 stuff was updated within the last year and if your ROMs don't include the ,key file that was added to every game they will no longer work with the latest version of MAME or RA with the latest two MAME cores (MAME and MAME 2016) I don't know if that is your issue but I know that it recently caused me to update my ROMs in order to play CPS2 games

3 hours ago, DOS76 said:

How old are you ROM files the cps2 stuff was updated within the last year and if your ROMs don't include the ,key file that was added to every game they will no longer work with the latest version of MAME or RA with the latest two MAME cores (MAME and MAME 2016) I don't know if that is your issue but I know that it recently caused me to update my ROMs in order to play CPS2 games

You could be onto something here.

I went ahead and changed the core to MAME2014 just for sake of things, and pretty much all of my games now work, including MK series.... All games EXCEPT anything Capcom. (Well, later titles, like MVC, Punisher, MArvel Super Heroes, etc).

Any insight?

Edited by poisongoomba

I recently audited all of my "Arcade", CPS-1, CPS-2, and Neo Geo games. I use Retroarch's MAME core for most of my "Arcade" games (which is basically everything that doesn't fall into the other three, including CPS-3) with a few stragglers set to MAMEUI and I use the FBA core for CPS-1, CPS-2, and NeoGeo. All of my MK games work with RA MAME. All of my CPS-1, CPS-2, and NeoGeo games work with RA FBA (they work with RA MAME too).

It's more than likely a problem with your rom files and/or missing bios/system files. You might be using older dumps, missing a system file that it needs for a particular game, any number of things.