LaunchBox Community Forums

suggestions on hardware for my arcade please

spaceman

Hi guys/girls

I want to build an arcade without an actual PC inside of it.  what hardware should i be using ? to support launchbox (bigbox mode)

I basically want to have a fixed setting once I turn on my arcade.... I've looked at raspberry pi 3 and from my understanding it's a little underpowered to run lunchbox. Correct me if I'm wrong ?  I want to be able to run 30 000+ games.

Any help would be highly appreciated as I'm not quiet computer illiterate

Ivan.

1 hour ago, Crush said:

You need Windows so you can buy a Mini PC to install inside, if you don't want to build a full PC inside.

I want to be able to turn my Arcade on and let it run straight to launchbox mode. Not turn it on and have a OS WINDOWS  at the front end of the monitor feeling like a PC. Somebody suggested this is possible running WINDOWS in the background. I just don't know how to do it :(    Mind you I've never actually installed launchbox or used it before But I'm planning to by the end of the year!!!!

I've been watching clips on youtube and i was like wow I want an Arcade running big box mode, So i'm just taking baby steps atm trying to figure out how can i achieve this and what hardware do i need to run it.  

1 hour ago, Crush said:

You need Windows so you can buy a Mini PC to install inside, if you don't want to build a full PC inside.

Yes mini PC sounds better thank you!!! I just dont want to see WINDOWS desktop when i turn my arcade on. So i'm trying to figure out how to by pass this and go straight to launchbox Big Box MODE.... 

You can configure your system to boot directly into Launchbox - there are various tricks and you can even use EventGhost for remote control. You have to decide what games you are going to use so you can figure out what hardware you will need. PS2 or Nintendo 3DS emulation require a powerful PC, if you plan on running older consoles you will be fine with a lower end PC.

12 hours ago, DOS76 said:

what do you mean by you want to build a arcade machine without a PC? Its not that the Pi is to underpowered (though it is) the issue is that it needs to run Windows in order to run LB.

yes I just learnt that yesterday. LB requires windows and Pi runs on linux. (i think)

I haven't actually used launchbox hence my simple minded thread

4 minutes ago, Crush said:

You can configure your system to boot directly into Launchbox - there are various tricks and you can even use EventGhost for remote control. You have to decide what games you are going to use so you can figure out what hardware you will need. PS2 or Nintendo 3DS emulation require a powerful PC, if you plan on running older consoles you will be fine with a lower end PC.

Yes this is good to know :) and vital information for my prehistoric brain!!!    Thanks a million                                            

I will have fun figuring out my library of games first and then lose more hair :o

This works well for me on Windows 7:

1. Configure Windows to automatically login to one of the windows users, on startup.

2. In that user's Startup folder, place a shortcut to BigBox.

3. BigBox will now be launched automatically when you turn on the computer.

There is probably a trick/app you can use to restart BigBox automatically if it crashes, or whatever. I've not had to do that, but if you're trying to make a standalone arcade might not be a bad idea.

• Unusual Gem 1

2 minutes ago, eatkinola said:

This works well for me on Windows 7:

1. Configure Windows to automatically login to one of the windows users, on startup.

2. In that user's Startup folder, place a shortcut to BigBox.

3. BigBox will now be launched automatically when you turn on the computer.

There is probably a trick/app you can use to restart BigBox automatically if it crashes, or whatever. I've not had to do that, but if you're trying to make a standalone arcade might not be a bad idea.

yes yes and yes 

is WINDOWS 7 sufficient enough to play higher quality emulators such as ps4 for example. 

Maybe that's more of an issue with harddrive size not the OS ? 

I don't know of any PS4 emulators. PS2 is only emulated so-so. But, given a good emulator Windows 7 should be more than adequate. My system: Skylake i5, gtx 960 4gb, ram 8gb is probably overkill but works very well with retroarch, dolphin, cemu, demul, ppspp, epsx, and pscx2.

1 minute ago, spaceman said:

whys that out of curiosity ? because its a later generation and harder to crack or copy the information over ? 

More that it is current, and therefore to powerful for any pc to even attempt. The general rule of thumb for emulation is the system you are emulating on ie pc, should be at least 4 times more powerful than the system you want to emulate. So no chance. Wii U emulation is cutting edge at the moment.

4 minutes ago, eatkinola said:

I don't know of any PS4 emulators. PS2 is only emulated so-so. But, given a good emulator Windows 7 should be more than adequate. My system: Skylake i5, gtx 960 4gb, ram 8gb is probably overkill but works very well with retroarch, dolphin, cemu, demul, ppspp, epsx, and pscx2.

I got so much to learn :( The funny thing is i've never owned any of the playstations lol. I just want my arcade to be modern so when friends come over they can play whatever console generation they want :) 

Thats the plan anyways :S

3 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

More that it is current, and therefore to powerful for any pc to even attempt. The general rule of thumb for emulation is the system you are emulating on ie pc, should be at least 4 times more powerful than the system you want to emulate. So no chance. Wii U emulation is cutting edge at the moment.

AAAaaaargggh interesting and informative info....       Thank you!!!

Just now, neil9000 said:

With all due respect, I'm not sure you actually understand what "emulation" actually means. Its not just being powerful enough to play the game, your pc also has to "pretend" to be the console, that is the hard part.

none taken. I'm actually a dud when it comes to this kind of stuff hence why I'm here. Makes sense though to emulate 

PS2 emulation is pretty good actually! The compatibility is up to 90% of all released titles if you use the latest 1.5.0 version. It is CPU intensive, so you will need at least a 3.5GHz CPU and a GPU not older than 3-4 years to get full speed with increased internal resolution.

So if you decide to emulate more modern consoles a Mini PC will not cut it! Your best option is to try the various emulators on an existing PC, see how they perform and then decide on the PC you will need for your arcade.

Edited by Crush
  • Like 1