LaunchBox Community Forums

Meaning of various options

FingerCramp

Alrighty, I have some more NOOB questions.  If I should have been able to easily find the answers to these questions somewhere, please point it out to me.  I could easily be blind.

1. When importing ROMs (MAME ROMs in my case), I'm asked if I wish to skip various types of ROMs.  Some are obvious to me, and some aren't.  For example, one is "skip mechanical games".  What are mechanical games?  Another is "skip fruit games".  What is a fruit game???

2. In the View menu, I see "Show Hidden Games".  This is unchecked by default.  What is a hidden game?  What causes a game to be "hidden"?

3. In the View menu, I see "Show Versions".  Toggling this off and on, I don't see any difference.  What does this do?

4. In the View menu, I see "Draw Game Image Borders".  Toggling this off and on, I don't see any difference.  What am I missing?

5. I select a game.  For example, Galaga.  Up comes the game information and the video plays.  I notice the video has all sorts of fancy artwork overlayed around and over the actual video.  But when I browse the disk and look in the videos folder, and manually view the Galaga.mp4 video, it contain only the gameplay and not all the fancy art overlay. Where's this coming from and how do I turn it off?

Many thanks in advance for your patience, tutelage, and assistance.

-Mike

• Like 1

1. mechanical games ie. something that needs a mechanical device of some king to operate, therefore not emulatable. Fruit= Fruit machine.

2. You can hide games if you want, for example a mame game that needs a .chd file you don't have so doesn't work you can hide from view but is still imported.

3. Arcade games often have several versions for different markets or with balance fixes. if you right click some of your arcade games you will probably see multiple versions of the same game.

4. Its very slight and just adds a line around a image in launchbox.

5. In your arcade video folder is also a theme folder that video is probably in there.

Hope that answers your questions, if not fire away.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Fruit= Fruit machine.

I have no idea what a "fruit game" or "fruit machine" is, so I Google it.  Google is showing me slot machines.  I guess that's what it is, although I've never heard this term before.  I'm glad to be skipping them.

2. You can hide games if you want, for example a mame game that needs a .chd file you don't have so doesn't work you can hide from view but is still imported.

Ok, I see if I right click on a game and select "Edit" there's a checkbox to "Hide" it.  So then, can I assume that no games are hidden by default, immediately after bring imported?  i.e. all hidden games have been hidden manually?

3. Arcade games often have several versions for different markets or with balance fixes. if you right click some of your arcade games you will probably see multiple versions of the same game.

Ok, I'll have to come back to this one.  I'm in the process of a long import so I can't test it at the moment.

4. Its very slight and just adds a line around a image in launchbox.

Ok, I see it now.  Wow, you're right.  It's quite subtle.

5.  In your arcade video folder is also a theme folder that video is probably in there.

Oh, weird.  Running a search, it appears there are two videos for each game.  One in LaunchBox\Videos and one in LaunchBox\Videos\Arcade.  The video in LaunchBox\Videos\Arcade is the fancy/ugly one, and is 20x the size of the plain video in LaunchBox\Videos.  Ok, so how do I tell LaunchBox which version to use?  I see how to set "priorities" for images, but not for videos.

Thanks!

-Mike

1 minute ago, FingerCramp said:

I have no idea what a "fruit game" or "fruit machine" is, so I Google it.  Google is showing me slot machines.  I guess that's what it is, although I've never heard this term before.  I'm glad to be skipping them.

Yeah I suppose it depends on where you live, slot machine, one armed bandit. Fruit machine here in England.

2 minutes ago, FingerCramp said:

Ok, I see if I right click on a game and select "Edit" there's a checkbox to "Hide" it.  So then, can I assume that no games are hidden by default, immediately after bring imported?  i.e. all hidden games have been hidden manually?

Correct, you can also mark games as broken and in bigbox there is a checkbox to hide broken games, so you will never see them again if you don't want to.

5 minutes ago, FingerCramp said:

Oh, weird.  Running a search, it appears there are two videos for each game.  One in LaunchBox\Videos and one in LaunchBox\Videos\Arcade.  The video in LaunchBox\Videos\Arcade is the fancy/ugly one, and is 20x the size of the plain video in LaunchBox\Videos.  Ok, so how do I tell LaunchBox which version to use?  I see how to set "priorities" for images, but not for videos.

There should not be game videos in Launchbox/Videos it should go Launchbox/Videos/arcade/ If you don't want the video you can just delete it, by the sounds of your description you are talking about critical cids mame videos which are downloaded from emumovies if you have a premium account there. But again all your arcade videos should be in Launchbox/Videos/Arcade which should have all the normall videos in it as well as another folder called themes where the fancy ones should be. Like this. Also in bigbox is a option to prioritize "theme" videos turning that off should use the default videos not the fancy ones.

Screenshot (53).png

You can also set the version for roms too. So now when you import them, anything in brackets gets put in to the version field. That's essentially the same thing here, but it gets them in this case from other metadata and not the file name. Otherwise, version is the same across everything in LB.

There should not be game videos in Launchbox/Videos it should go Launchbox/Videos/arcade/ If you don't want the video you can just delete it, by the sounds of your description you are talking about critical cids mame videos which are downloaded from emumovies if you have a premium account there. But again all your arcade videos should be in Launchbox/Videos/Arcade which should have all the normall videos in it as well as another folder called themes where the fancy ones should be. Like this. Also in bigbox is a option to prioritize "theme" videos turning that off should use the default videos not the fancy ones.

Ugh, it appears I was reading the Windows Search wrong.  I'm not much of a Windows user -- I mostly use Linux -- but I'm forced to Windows if I want to use LaunchBox, it seems.

Ok, yeah, there are the regular videos in Launchbox/Videos/Arcade and the themed ones in Launchbox/Videos/Arcade/Theme.  So when this massive import I'm doing finishes, I'll start up BigBox and look for the option for prioritizing "theme" videos and turn it off.

Thanks!

-Mike

• Like 1