LaunchBox Community Forums

System Requirement for Intel "NUC" style PC to run Big Box

NolanCraw

Well NUC is kind of generic since you can get them with up to an i7 all the way down to a Celeron in them.
That being said though I run LB/BB on a large faction of PC's from an i7 with 16GB of RAM and a GTX 960 all the way down to a Insignia tablet with 1GB of RAM and an Atom CPU and while its much smoother on the desktop it can be tweaked to work on lower end hardware (still not the greatest but workable). If your emulation goals are modest ie only NES and SNES you could probably get away with an i3 but I would suggest at least an i5

I use a NUC in my Bartop arcade. (i5 Haswell - 8Go RAM) 
BOXD54250WYK2 - 2 core - 4 thread - 1.30Ghz - turbo 2.60Ghz - Intel HD Graphics 5000

First, in the BIOS, I switched everything to "performance" mode, turned off what does not help me, put the maximum shared RAM on the graphics card and very slightly OC the CPU (about 5%).

All 2D emulators turns very well. No problem. In RetroArch for me. All with filter.
For the arcade, I haven't tested Mame, but FBA in RetroArch works perfectly well.
For Dauphin, it's more mixed. It depends on the games. For example, "Mario Kart Double Dash" works fine, but not "F-Zero Game Cube". Too much lag.
PPSSPP works better in standalone. It runs perfectly well in the original resolution.
PS2 and DreamCast turns to 15-20 fps =/
Sega Model 2 & 3 work fine.
The "small" 2D PC games work just fine too. Those that do not have too much effect. BroForce works well for example.
I don't test CEMU, 3DS or PS3.

LaunchBox and BigBox alone works perfectly well.

All this, tested on my screen 15" 1280x720px.

It's worth noting on the above post that PSP should only ever be ran with it's standalone emulator. The RetroArch core is 2 years out of date. With some tweaking, and your expectations (similar to that above, but it ends up depending on your spec), I think you might be surprised. Big Box can use some tweaking too, but it's mostly going to be your OS and hardware.

4 hours ago, DOS76 said:

Well NUC is kind of generic since you can get them with up to an i7 all the way down to a Celeron in them.
That being said though I run LB/BB on a large faction of PC's from an i7 with 16GB of RAM and a GTX 960 all the way down to a Insignia tablet with 1GB of RAM and an Atom CPU and while its much smoother on the desktop it can be tweaked to work on lower end hardware (still not the greatest but workable). If your emulation goals are modest ie only NES and SNES you could probably get away with an i3 but I would suggest at least an i5

Yes,  my only real requirement is the form factor due to size limitation, so as long as it's hovering around $500 I'm open to any NUC style windows pc. 

17 minutes ago, SentaiBrad said:

It's worth noting on the above post that PSP should only ever be ran with it's standalone emulator. The RetroArch core is 2 years out of date. With some tweaking, and your expectations (similar to that above, but it ends up depending on your spec), I think you might be surprised. Big Box can use some tweaking too, but it's mostly going to be your OS and hardware.

I'm literally only ever going to run NES, SNES, maybe Sega Genesis...

Ah, then your spec can be much lower, or just enough to be able to serve Windows (preferably 10), Big Box and your games. You don't want to get minimum spec for just Windows, because everything requires overhead. 8GB of RAM, a moderate i5, with a GTX graphics card (or an i7 if you have to go integrated), should be fine.

Edited by SentaiBrad