LaunchBox Community Forums

Trouble scraping Backgrounds

DjBlades

Heyo folks. I've been uploading a fair amount of "Fanart - Background" pictures to the database to make my bigbox setup look nicer. I've noticed there's a delay between the image going live on the database and actually being able to be detected by Launchbox, but I just wait a day or so and that's fine. The problem I have is trying to get the backgrounds for multiple games at once, Launchbox just... Doesn't.

If I use CTRL A to select all the games in my library, then use the metadata tool to download backgrounds for all my games, it does not download any at all, but still gives a completion message. If I select the individual game and do it again, it works completely fine. Even trying to do it with two games selected, it doesn't work. I'll have to give it some more testing soon to see what cases affect it, but for reference I always use the second option, to not overwrite existing metadata fields.

Have you updated your Database file within LaunchBox? Edit a game not attached to the Database (or edit a game that is attached to the database, but unlink it with the red X and then make sure to hit cancel when done), and press the "Search Database" box. Once that's updated, edit a single game you've updated and try to update just that. If you have the images there, then select multiples and choose the download tool. Make sure to select the first option as well. Once the game is approved, it can take up to 24 hours to be pushed out to be made live, then at midnight the day it was approved, LaunchBox will see that the database has an update to give to people. So it can take up to about 48 hours once the change has been approved.

I did some testing, and I think I understand it. In all situations, picking the first option, to overwrite all metadata worked and both images were downloaded. But I'd prefer not redownloading my entire background library each time a new one is submited :P

I did as you said, unlinked a game with no background from database, then used the search button to link it again, I tried to scrape both that game, and a game that already had a background at once. No images were downloaded.

Then I tried scraping two games that both didn't have a background, that worked fine, and backgrounds for both games were downloaded. From that, I presumed that Launchbox tries to scrape the first game, detects it already has a background, and downloads nothing. From that point onward, it doesn't download any more backgrounds as it's already decided not to for the first game, so I guess it doesn't even check the other games afterwards. I did one more test for that.

I scraped three games at the same time in alphabetical order, the first didn't have a background, the second did, and the third didn't. As expected, the first game downloaded a background, the second was skipped as it already had one, and because of that it continued skipping games afterwards and didn't download a background for the last game. Is this a bug I should report, or intended behaviour?

Edited by DjBlades