LaunchBox Community Forums

CEMU 175 - no improvment?

PowerCooker

Hi everyone

I recently got into launchbox and have a fair few games on my HDD but I'm having some serious issues with my CEMU 175 (the latest) and I honestly am puzzled by why its doing what its doing. So some help or advice would be great.

First of all my settings

GTX970
i7 930
16GB Ram
2TB HDD

now here is my issue. When I try to run ANY Wii U game via cemu I always have audio issues and fps issues. If I play star fox zero for example the audio is so loud and messed up I feel as if my ears are going to bleed. Yet ive seen some youtube videos of people playing the game without audio issues and claiming there is a V5 audio crack?

I play games like Xenoblade 2 and I cant even play that as when I get past the 'press start' section I end up seeing a FLICKING of stars and nothing loads after this.

I boot up bayonetta 2 and I'm only getting around 15-20fps game-play and a solid 30-60 during cut scenes BUT my audio is messed up something terrible. Yet ive seen people playing the game with a solid 60fps during game with a lot less audio problems than what I have and this is on a much older 172 version of cemu

I know this emulator is still early in development but is there any way to fix the audio issues (aside from turning all sound off all together)

It's such a tough question to give a definitive answer to because it really depends on the game and CPU.

Your CPU is an early generation i7 so that is not going to give you very good performance with Cemu. I would suggest trying out Mario 3D Worlds and Wind Waker HD and see how those games work for you. I have those 2 games running at 100% speed on my AMD 8350.

I did this small guide here: 

29 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

It's such a tough question to give a definitive answer to because it really depends on the game and CPU.

Your CPU is an early generation i7 so that is not going to give you very good performance with Cemu. I would suggest trying out Mario 3D Worlds and Wind Waker HD and see how those games work for you. I have those 2 games running at 100% speed on my AMD 8350.

I did this small guide here: 

is cemu a very heavy CPU emulator then? ive just managed to get xenoblade 2 to boot (it looks beautiful but is a little slow)

My GTX970 is new and I haven't had 1 before - its the first game ive tested sincer a benchmark program that has made the fans switch on. Are they meant to hit 60oc and then only come on around 800rpm and stop once back down to 50?

well I JUST got xenoblade 2 to open up and I don't seem to be having ANY sound issues with this one....so how can it just be star fox and bayonetta 2 that are messed up sound wise?

isn't the wii u a much weaker processor than my i7 930 tho?

is there anyway I can take the strain off it and put it to my gpu instead?

well seems I CANT play xenoblade 2 now....for some reason when I try and cross this bridge (at the start of the game) to get to the human space ship my game just freezes and that's it....I don't suppose I need a full complete cache from somewere or someone?

I tested Mario kart 8 and the 1st lap seems buggy/freezes and starts again but after 1 lap the next 2 3 4 etc all seem to run rather well and the gpu temp never went above 55

For a system to be properly emulated, the host system needs to be almost 3-5x more powerful than the system you're emulating. For example, For the SNES to be fully emulated at a 100%, it requires a 3Ghz CPU, and the 930 is 2.8GHz. Granted, there are other cores in RetroArch (like Bsnes Balanced and Performance), that have lower requirements, but the Accuracy core does require 3Ghz and that is considered perfect emulation. CEMU is also in a very early state, meaning it also has a higher requirement of the host PC. Over time they can get requirements down, but right now that's not their worry, it's a very Alpha emulator. Any video you watch where someone doesn't state that (this does for PS3 and Wii U), and they say it runs perfectly is literally lieing to you. It runs shockingly well, but not perfect, and requires a very strong PC currently.

9 minutes ago, SentaiBrad said:

For a system to be properly emulated, the host system needs to be almost 3-5x more powerful than the system you're emulating. For example, For the SNES to be fully emulated at a 100%, it requires a 3Ghz CPU, and the 930 is 2.8GHz. Granted, there are other cores in RetroArch (like Bsnes Balanced and Performance), that have lower requirements, but the Accuracy core does require 3Ghz and that is considered perfect emulation. CEMU is also in a very early state, meaning it also has a higher requirement of the host PC. Over time they can get requirements down, but right now that's not their worry, it's a very Alpha emulator. Any video you watch where someone doesn't state that (this does for PS3 and Wii U), and they say it runs perfectly is literally lieing to you. It runs shockingly well, but not perfect, and requires a very strong PC currently.

hi brad

see this is what puzzles me coz I'm running wii games almost perfectly. Sonic colors runs perfect and the only x2 issues I had with that was with the fmv videos they appeared grainy and at the very end when the credits rolled I got slow down

the rest of the game ran perfectly.

I have a complete cahce of bayonetta 2 in my shaders folder (which I got from a fellow youtube cemu user) but even with a full shader cache for that game I get real big slow down and only around 15-20fps (its not playable anyways due to the messed up audio) but does that mean if I had a complete cache for xenoblade 2 it would stop crashing? coz aside from a custome one on reddit I cant seem to find a full one anywere

would upgrading my i7 to a newer i7 make anything work/run better? I ASSUME since I have an i7 930 I can just upgrade to any other i7 processor? my motherboard is a MSI x58A-GD65 (ms 7522) if that means anything

Upgrading will help, but no you can't just upgrade to another i7. I had a 930 too, and when it was time to upgrade I ended up building a whole new PC, because the socket on my motherboard was maxed out. The 930 was the top of that sockets list, so there was no where else for me to go. In order to go higher, I needed a new motherboard, which meant I was just building a new PC. I carried over my 970, but that was it. Even that I'm looking to upgrade bad.

In terms of Wii, you can not compare what worked over there, to what works over here. GameCube and Wii emulation are very close, they used the same architecture. The Wii is actually like two duct tapped GameCubes. The Wii U carries that same architecture, hence why it's as far as it is so fast, but it's still extremely early. The Wii also wasn't even HD, the Wii U is and thus the insides are much more sophisticated compared to a Wii. Emulation is not apples and oranges, there are usually very little comparisons. Dolphin has had a ton of work done on it, but when it was new at the time it didn't run well for 95% of the GameCube's and Wii's library. Over time, PC's got a bit more powerful, they made progress on the emulator and reduced the power requirements, and things got better. CEMU still needs to go through that growth phase, they're impressive but still very early. I have an i7 6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 32GB of DDR4 RAM and a GTX 970 and CEMU doesn't run anything perfect still. Some games run better than others, but just because one game runs ok, doesn't mean the rest will. Even from game to game they have wildly different requirements, they used the hardware in different ways and require different levels of power.

8 minutes ago, SentaiBrad said:

Upgrading will help, but no you can't just upgrade to another i7. I had a 930 too, and when it was time to upgrade I ended up building a whole new PC, because the socket on my motherboard was maxed out. The 930 was the top of that sockets list, so there was no where else for me to go. In order to go higher, I needed a new motherboard, which meant I was just building a new PC. I carried over my 970, but that was it. Even that I'm looking to upgrade bad.

In terms of Wii, you can not compare what worked over there, to what works over here. GameCube and Wii emulation are very close, they used the same architecture. The Wii is actually like two duct tapped GameCubes. The Wii U carries that same architecture, hence why it's as far as it is so fast, but it's still extremely early. The Wii also wasn't even HD, the Wii U is and thus the insides are much more sophisticated compared to a Wii. Emulation is not apples and oranges, there are usually very little comparisons. Dolphin has had a ton of work done on it, but when it was new at the time it didn't run well for 95% of the GameCube's and Wii's library. Over time, PC's got a bit more powerful, they made progress on the emulator and reduced the power requirements, and things got better. CEMU still needs to go through that growth phase, they're impressive but still very early. I have an i7 6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 32GB of DDR4 RAM and a GTX 970 and CEMU doesn't run anything perfect still. Some games run better than others, but just because one game runs ok, doesn't mean the rest will. Even from game to game they have wildly different requirements, they used the hardware in different ways and require different levels of power.

so what your saying is I'm fucked basically - with my processor I mean. Because your saying I would need to get a new motherboard since my 930 is the highest for its range?? I gather this would mean I would need to get new ram and everything else if I were to do this. I have no clue about what ram make mine is as I have those metal covers over my ram. I don't think there any special brand like Kingston or anything

I have another gaming pc and that's got an AMD 1055T processor but my GPU in that is just a gigabyte 660. I was thinking about upgrade the gpu on that but because of my job I hardly get to game these days. Ive only been able to game like mad till 5am all these past 2 weeks as ive been off work on my holidays. So yeah not looking forward to Tuesday when I go back

But basically if I want a better cpu I need a new motherboard and the Wii u games....I shouldn't really bother with for the time being?

Edited by PowerCooker

PSU is more likely to be carried over, and same with your GPU. The RAM might be a bit harder, it depends on it's frequency and if it's DDR3 or DDR4. If it's DDR3, then upgrade to DDR4 anyways as it's much faster. It depends on your motherboard, so you're gonna want to look up what sockets it uses. If it's only capable of running the one socket type (I believe most Motherboards are like this now days), then yes, you'll need to upgrade the motherboard. There are some i7's from within that socket that are more powerful, but they're stupid expensive for not much of an increase. The last I checked they were $600 to $1k, and upgrading to a newer generation at just $200-400 would provide a much bigger performance increase. You can find CPU and Motherboard combination sales on NewEgg, so you might be able to luck out. If your case is still good, then that helps too. It really just depends on what you want to do. If Wii U games are your only issue, then completely skip on building a new PC right now. The emulation is no where near perfect (it wont be for several years). If you do other more modern gaming, you want to do Wii U and PS3 games down the line, or you require your PC for other laborious tasks, then all the more reason to upgrade. How much you need to upgrade just depends on what you can and should keep. I would keep the GPU, case and PSU (if it's got enough wattage). Try PC Parts picker to spec out a machine if you're curious.