LaunchBox Community Forums

Unable to launch games using RA.

a7mag3ddon

Hi,

I'm trying to set up Retroarch neogeo and Nes but no games will launch for some reason and i cant work it out.

If i manually go into RA and load content the games load fine.

Does Launchbox create any log files or does anyone know what i can look at?

I have a neogeo platform, the emulator is set to retroarch, and there is a tick next to associated platforms (that contains -L "cores\fbalpha2012_neogeo_libretro.dll") so all looks like it should be working.

I am using Windows 10 32bit on a lattepanda if that matters.

thanks

Which core are you using and is LB pointing to that core as there are more than one for NES also LB will auto setup a platform for Nintendo Entertainment System if your platform is named differently in the side bar this will cause issues

Im using the BNES core.  Where can check that retroarch is being launched with that core?

When i first set it up i chose nestopia as the emulator which i had installed seperatley and this did work, but due to issues with that emulator not going full screen i decided to change it to retroarch instead.

The Associated Platform you saw those commands in is where you tell RetroArch what core to load. Make sure the platform names in the Associated Platforms page matches your system names in LaunchBox, make sure the command is correct, and make sure your games are using RetroArch as their emulator (the default check box doesn't change this at all).

Yeah if you are trying to use BSNES that isn't the default core so if you didn't edit it and you didn't download the core LB is using as the default also, that is why it isn't working. It is trying to load the snes9x core instead and unless there has been changes to the default core settings in LB its trying to load a snes9x core that doesn't even exist anymore.

Edited by DOS76

Its a setting in LB thats the issues im pretty sure of it, as i first said, if i manually go into RetroArch and load the game it works fine but for some reason Neogeo just wont load. all the art/ info is there just doesnt fire up retroarch.  which surelly means all the correct cores are where they need to be ?

Ill work on it more later tonight.

I need to get it working so i can see if its worth buying the big box version because the lattepanda is to replace the raspberry pi i already have because its slightly more powerful.

I am having the exact same issue. 

Roms launch fine through Retroarch itself but do not launch via LaunchBox.

Same Mame core and I have verified the Platforms configuration several times. 

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

You are awesome on the replies. Thank you.

If the core wasn't there, wouldn't RetroArch subsequently not work? I know they are present because when I load the core manually (via RetroArch GUI) and then I load the ROM, it works.

And yes, these are old ROMS. I haven't ran a checker on them yet but I do know that they are at least 10 years old. 

Thanks again.

BOOM!

You got it! Thank you for catching that. Sorry for my lameness. 

I know that I need to update my ROMS as well as probably running the mame.exe (instead of the RetroArch library) and I hope to move to that soon. 

Thanks again for the quick replies. I do appreciate it. 

I love the app and look forward to getting even more EMU's up and running.

Thanks so much for the help.

Just finished some Dig Dug and Star Castle :)

That would be the MAME 2016 core right?

Do you happen to know which version of MAME that core is built off of so I can target the appropriate ROM set?

Thanks again. Just had some fun playing those games. 

The latest Mame core is just Mame with no year in its name and is based off the 183 build. Mame2016 is based off the 174 build, you can check all the different cores and see which versions they are based off here https://wiki.libretro.com/index.php?title=Category:Libretro_Cores

Click the Mame core and check it's info, it will tell you what version it was built from.