LaunchBox Community Forums

Fan Games and ROM Hacks?

Black60Dragon

I have a question about whether fan games or ROM hacks should be included? I found some fake Zelda games in the DB, and I'm not sure if I should mark for deletion or not because I dont know if they are accepted or not. I feel like maybe they arent because there are 1000's for Super Mario World alone, but I thought I'd make sure first.

The guidelines have this scenario covered. For now, just leave it, but we can't add more to make the problem worse. The scope of the Database is for the released games first and foremost, but we want to have a place where Rom Hacks, Homebrews and Unlicensed games can live.

11 hours ago, Black60Dragon said:

I have a question about whether fan games or ROM hacks should be included? I found some fake Zelda games in the DB, and I'm not sure if I should mark for deletion or not because I dont know if they are accepted or not. I feel like maybe they arent because there are 1000's for Super Mario World alone, but I thought I'd make sure first.

I'd say mark them for deletion (unless they're for Windows, pretty much anything goes on that platform). Sometimes things slip through the cracks (and we're still dealing with the deletion bug.)

5 hours ago, FistyDollars said:

I'd say mark them for deletion (unless they're for Windows, pretty much anything goes on that platform). Sometimes things slip through the cracks (and we're still dealing with the deletion bug.)

A couple of them say Windows, but a few others say NES or Famicom. I will mark those for deletion. Just wondering, what makes Windows different? 

Also, I'm assuming the deletion bug is pages not getting deleted when they're supposed to? Because I marked a duplicate page the other day, and it was accepted, but both pages are still there.

No, lets not mark them for deletion at all. Like I said, this is covered in the guidelines! Lets just leave them there for now, either they slipped in accidentally or are carry overs from the GamesDB days. They're fine staying for now, there's no reason to remove them, but we shouldn't actively be adding more to make the problem worse.

1 hour ago, Black60Dragon said:

A couple of them say Windows, but a few others say NES or Famicom. I will mark those for deletion. Just wondering, what makes Windows different? 

Also, I'm assuming the deletion bug is pages not getting deleted when they're supposed to? Because I marked a duplicate page the other day, and it was accepted, but both pages are still there.

And yea, the deletion bug was never fixed it looks like. We need to know exactly what game you marked as a duplicate that was never removed though.

This is the duplicate. The animal crossing N64 game. http://gamesdb.launchbox-app.com/games/details/32325

You guys keep telling me different things. Some say delete them, some say not to. I have no clue what is correct, but if we are only looking for official games at the moment, then I see nothing wrong with deleting fake games and re-adding later on once there is a category for ROM hacks. Anyone can make a ROM hack very easily. Also, where are these guidelines you keep talking about?

I'm the one who wrote the Guidelines. So Jason has the final approval, but has given me the day to day control on this one. I'm not above changing, adding or editing things, I've done that in the past a lot, but this has been set for a while. The forums has them pinned, the mega thread. They're not linked on the Database directly, but I'm trying to get that changed, and even get them in-line.

So, per this issue, Alex is back working on the Database. I just had a talk with @Vlansix today. He's going to be working on Stability and the Bugs from the Bit Bucket. Past that, there is a short list of things, and they should be getting worked on. This is going to be apart of that short list. This is partly why I don't want to remove the games, because then someone needs to completely re-add them instead of editing a single value. Editing is easier than adding, but adding a ton of entries before the tools exist is a bit foolish. Hence the grandfathered approach; Anything that exists is fine, but lets not complicate things further right now.

I have a data file for Super Mario World hacks and their listed by type their myade by a user over at romshepherd. Some of them are full games not just single or demo's of their creations or just plain bad dumps which their is a list of those in the dat file.