LaunchBox Community Forums

Filter when importing ROMs by Scanning?

Byzod

When try to import WiiU ROMs in Loadiine format, I found that Launchbox list every single files in the game folder.

How can I tell Launchbox to import *.rpx files ONLY? I didn't found such settings.

Example: importing two games: Mario Kart 8 and Xenoblade Chronicles X

1.thumb.png.76f225ed50960ce8702c7f7a72072fe7.pngThis is what happened when I try to import ROMs using `Scan for Added ROMs`, there're only 2 roms, but launchbox listed like 25k files, the window freeze for 5+ seconds if I try to select and delete some of them.

I mean, seriously? Launchbox even list *.tga, *.h264, *.svg, *.url, *.xml files.

I don't know there were WiiU games in *.url format, amazing, can I play it with my Firefox?

I know I can import from files instead but `Scan ROMs` is much better if it has a file type filter:

1. `Scan for Added ROMs`with filter

- Simply click, click `Next` 3 times then we arrived the Ready to Import window, since there're only *.rpx files we can click Finish immediately.

- Done, we finished importing for newly added ROMs in 4 simple clicks gracefully

2. `Scan for Added ROMs`without filter

- Simply click, click `Next` 3 times then ....then window freeze for 10+ seconds, then we arrived the Ready to Import window

- Ok we need to delete everything except *.rpx files, which means you need to found those *.rpx files out in 25k+ files, and each action (select/delete) freeze the window for 5+ seconds

- After few freezes we finished importing for 2 new ROMs. I can tell you it will be {5 * roms} seconds of freeze before the Ready window showing, {15k * roms} files listed in the Ready window. Good luck filtering manually.

3. Import from files

- Choose add files, then navigate to the deep path where you store your roms because Launchbox can't remember what the folder was last time

- Type *.rpx in the right top corner and try to figure out which one is the newly added ROM because game name & rpx file name are usually different and unrelated.

- Choose what platform the game is, again

- Choose what emulator it use, again

- Choose dont-move-my-roms option, again

- Click `Next` 4 times then wow, finally we arrived the Ready to Import window

- Done. But next time you added a ROM, you need to repeat all the steps above, AGAIN. Every SINGLE time. That's extreme tedious and annoying.

So I hope there're filters before Launchbox list all unrelated files. Wildcard, regex, autohotkey script or whatever, better than nothing.

Edited by Byzod

what you need to do during import is use the windows search to just search for the .rpx file and if its only two games just use the add button in the bottom right corner and add them individually and then you can navigate to the folder and pick the .rpx file you need.

Edited by DOS76

7 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

what you need to do during import is use the windows search to just search for the .rpx file and if its only two games just use the add button in the bottom right corner and add them individually and then you can navigate to the folder and pick the .rpx file you need.

1. Click `Add Game`

2. Click emulator tab then select Cemu

3. Navigate to the deep path where you store your roms, choose a *.rpx file

4. Change name to a proper one other than the file name of rpx file

5. Click search metadate

6. Choose one from the dropbox

7. Click Download images/media

8. Uncheck unwanted ones then click Download

9. Click OK to finish Adding

10. Repeat all steps above AGAIN to add the next one.

Well, if you think that's more convenient and graceful...

You could also go to the file find the .rpx in File explorer and then drag that into LB and it will start the normal import process and only add that game or if you use the search in File Explorer you can get it to pull all the .rpx files out and drag and drop multiple ones into LB and t will only import those.

1 hour ago, DOS76 said:

You could also go to the file find the .rpx in File explorer and then drag that into LB and it will start the normal import process and only add that game or if you use the search in File Explorer you can get it to pull all the .rpx files out and drag and drop multiple ones into LB and t will only import those.

OK, then repeat step 4 to step 10? If it can be done in lesser than 4 clicks please tell me.

I'm trying to say "If LB could add a small feature that let you filter files when scanning then you can import new ROMs by only 4 easy clicks"

I'm not complaining "I don't know how to import games", but any way, thanks for telling me things that I already known.

Giving an example:

Steam Rom Manger lets you automatically imports game roms by given "glob", something like regular expression.

In my example, I can set the executable path & rom path, then tell SRM that it should look for roms with the glob: `${/([^\(]+)/}/code/*.rpx`

Then, I just need TWO click to update no matter how many games added.

As you can see, drag two *.rpx file onto SRM is much much faster than setting up complex glob expressions ;)

In short, I don't like doing repeating tedious actions that should be done by computer applications.

Edited by Byzod

10 hours ago, DOS76 said:

Wow I'm sorry I attempted to help you since you have such a shitty attitude hopefully someone else can give you a better explanation

Thanks for you attempt, even if you considering explaining-thread-content-for-someone-that-didnt-read-before-reply as  shitty attitude.

No  offence, but you really need to learn READing the OP before replying, and maybe wash you mouth too.

I'm sorry, but he had explained how. I don't condone the reply, but I don't fault him either. Using the windows search function during import (selecting to import files and not folders), is the solution. Dragging in or dropping the files, or using the add button are two completely valid alternatives. Add takes longer, but it is only two games. Dragging and dropping will result in the import process, but since they're not in the same folder you'd have to do it twice. By process of elimination, the first reply Derek gave you was spot on, import again but use the Windows Search function from your Wii U games folder. You'll also want to rename them on the last screen, or use the "use folder name" option. It should pick the proper game name.

1 hour ago, SentaiBrad said:

I'm sorry, but he had explained how. I don't condone the reply, but I don't fault him either. Using the windows search function during import (selecting to import files and not folders), is the solution. Dragging in or dropping the files, or using the add button are two completely valid alternatives. Add takes longer, but it is only two games. Dragging and dropping will result in the import process, but since they're not in the same folder you'd have to do it twice. By process of elimination, the first reply Derek gave you was spot on, import again but use the Windows Search function from your Wii U games folder. You'll also want to rename them on the last screen, or use the "use folder name" option. It should pick the proper game name.

That for further explain HOW to import games...Blame me  that I found I didn't make it clear in the OP, I think I delete some lines accidentally: those games (XCX & Mario) are just for demonstration :/ (Edited the OP)

- I'm NOT ask for: how to import THIS TWO games easier

- I'm ask for: how to import (many other) games easier

I take XCX & Mario for example, but that's not all what I'm going to import.
Adding games by selecting files is easy, but later you need to fill many empty boxes that you've filled them many times, it's not a big deal for 2 games, but that will be painful for every added game.

On 2017/5/7 at 4:15 PM, Byzod said:

1. Click `Add Game`

2. Click emulator tab then select Cemu

3. Navigate to the deep path where you store your roms, choose a *.rpx file

4. Change name to a proper one other than the file name of rpx file

5. Click search metadate

6. Choose one from the dropbox

7. Click Download images/media

8. Uncheck unwanted ones then click Download

9. Click OK to finish Adding

10. Repeat all steps above AGAIN to add the next one.

Another example, considering two situation, which one do you think is better:

A: Tom buy something from eBay every now and then. He click `add to cart`, then fill his credit card number, fill his full name, fill his gender, fill his address line 1, fill his address line 2, fill his postcode, fill his CVV, fill his company, fill his expiry date, then finally, click `Pay`, done. The next time Tom buy something, he need to fill all those things again.

B: Tom buy something from eBay every now and then. He click `add to cart`, because he checked `Remember my card` last time, so he click `Pay`, done.

The `Scan` feature is great, just like a `remember my card` option, the only problem is that it didn't scan for the right files. Once `Scan` have a filter, that will be the coolest feature I ever met.

p.s. the "use folder name"  is not suitable for Loadiine games since rpx file is like `Roms\GameName\code\rpxname.rpx`, so all of them show as `code`

Edited by Byzod

Yea crap, the use folder name worked for in another scenario where the folder name used wasn't the folder directly above, but one more above that like that Wii U game.

As for importing, you don't need to input metadata or fields manually all the time. When you import games there are two options, Folders and Files. With files you can use the Windows Search to pick out just the file extensions that you need, and then the import process runs like normal. In this case, since the names will be messed up, you'll need to edit them on the final screen before you finalize the import. You can double click the name and quickly edit, that way the import will pull the Metadata and Media properly, if it exists for a game. The "remember info from last time" doesn't work in LaunchBox because the import can differ very differently from console to console. So remembering what you did last time for Wii U games doesn't help when you go to import DOS or SNES games. If you need more help, we have a lot of tutorials on our channel that I made and now ETA Prime make, and they walk users through the process if you'd like to see it in action some more.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6pTDaHeAz-WMcNURVPU-1xLN_TVpT3FB

43 minutes ago, SentaiBrad said:

Yea crap, the use folder name worked for in another scenario where the folder name used wasn't the folder directly above, but one more above that like that Wii U game.

Not a big problem though, I need to edit it anyway.

45 minutes ago, SentaiBrad said:

As for importing, you don't need to input metadata or fields manually all the time.

True, besides that's not what I said. Please check post #3, it explained why import from files is less easier than `Scan added ROMs for WiiU`

51 minutes ago, SentaiBrad said:

When you import games there are two options, Folders and Files. With files you can use the Windows Search to pick out just the file extensions that you need, and then the import process runs like normal. In this case, since the names will be messed up, you'll need to edit them on the final screen before you finalize the import. You can double click the name and quickly edit, that way the import will pull the Metadata and Media properly, if it exists for a game.

True, and that's what I said I was doing in OP, situation 3. In case you didn't noticed.

53 minutes ago, SentaiBrad said:

The "remember info from last time" doesn't work in LaunchBox because the import can differ very differently from console to console. So remembering what you did last time for Wii U games doesn't help when you go to import DOS or SNES games.

It EXIST. That is the `Scan` feature, which I'm talking about all the time but you guys tend to ignore it for unknow reason.

The `Scan for WiiU` option remembers what platform I'm talking about, what emulator I'm deal with, it bypass all the tedious parts, get all games ready to import directly. The ONLY problem is it lack a filter, which I'm trying to explain all the time. About `import from file`,  I think I've already wrote why import from file is less easier in situation 3 in OP, `import from folder is even worse.

`Scan` works for other platforms/emulators too, `Scan for PS2` update my PCSX2 game library in 4 clicks, `Scan for Acade` update my MAME library in 4 clicks too, that's really convenient. It didn't works for WiiU only because the Loadiine ROM format.

If there's a filter, I can update my Cemu library in 4 clicks too. That's what I'm talking about all time, and that's what I wrote in the OP.