LaunchBox Community Forums

Dealing with overlap between MAME and other emus

garbanzo

So MAME is great, but for some arcade systems that it supports, there are dedicated emulators out there, which I assume do a better job. Plus there are emus that support games that don't run in MAME.

My question is this - how do you deal with the overlap? 

Do you just grab the latest MAME set and call it good?

Do you take the MAME set and filter out everything that FBA supports, and run those separately? 

Do you keep both a MAME set and an FBA set, even though you're doubling up on a bunch of games?

Do you just use FBA for games that MAME won't run?

What about Kawaks? DEmul? Other emulators?

I've even seen some setups here that separate out CPS-1, CPS-2, Neo-Geo, etc. Do you just tear apart your MAME set into the major systems and run each one separately? What value does that add to your setup?

It's all too much to wrap my head around :( 

I separate my arcade stuff out and honestly I've done some of all of those things in getting my collection over time. I use MAME, the FBA core (CPS1&2 + NeoGeo) in RetroArch, Demul (Naomi1&2 Hikaru Gaelco Sammy Atomiswave), CPS3 emulator Sega Model 2 emulator and SuperModel (Model 3). I believe all of those systems work with MAME ROMs but you will find some issues with MAME changing some of them and the emulators not keeping up with the changes so its hard on which way to say is the right way to go. The download section has some .bat files you can download to copy the files out of your MAME ROMs directory which makes it easier but they aren't available for all systems yet. Some of the sets though can be found online in packs together if you search