LaunchBox Community Forums

Big box not filling cocktail screen

dunginhawk

Good evening folks... I am just finishing the build on my arcade cabinet... I have the PC running great, mame, etc... launchbox (of course).  However when I change it to cocktail mode it only rotates it so it appears half if off the screen and it never fills the bottom half... it appears as though its resolution is remaining constant, yet the software is telling it to rotate.. Perhaps its a resolution issue not bigbox?

would love some guidance.

thanks

Sentaibrad ... i do in fact have a vertical theme installed, but for some reason it isnt working , or something else is amiss.. I just posted on the vertical theme forum post.. lets see if there is any activity there.. its the last thing standing between me and bliss... that and my working killer instinct rom/mame wont launch on the right screen haha

@dunginhawk Did you change your monitor resolution to Portrait?  the reason i ask is you say your using software to rotate, this theme is built for monitors set to Portrait resolution i do not know of any theme that will flip and fill the screen so the monitor must be set to portrait in screen resolution for this theme.

Untitled.png

Edited by Maddoc1007

the only resolution (after playing with it) that fills the screen is 600x800 and its SO stretched in the top to bottom range it looks terrible.  Now I dont mind the resolution being low (its just the gui after all), but the stretching is just too much.

There isnt another resolution that works to fill the screen without massive stretching.

@dunginhawk The stretching is unavoidable that is why it is up to the user to get video and images that are portrait if using a vertical monitor i have tried used the vertical theme on a 10:16 (900x1440), a 4:5 (1024x1280) and a 3:4 (768x1024) which is the aspect ratios monitors when orientated to portrait and yes the background images and video look terrible stretched but look everything looks alright when artwork and video of the proper orientation are used and the only reason i built this is there were a few people looking for someone to build a temporary vertical theme at the time which i did from the default theme and until someone comes along and builds themes specifically for vertical monitors that.s all there is at the moment im afraid as not a lot of users are using vertical monitors. The screenshots you see in the downloads for the default vertical theme were all taken on an 4:5 (1024x1280) monitor.  I am hopeing to get back to this theme in a few weeks and place text and some other elements inside viewboxes so that when people use zooms of Medium or Large on their vertical monitors the writings will not scale up larger, but at the moment the theme must be set on small 100%.

Edited by Maddoc1007

Maddoc... first off, thank you for making this theme... I havent messed with a mame cabinet in a decade.  Im just finishing my cocktail cabinet, and this is kinda the only option (unless there is another program frontend that works)..

Either way, I appreciate the work you put in to this... I can make it work.

thanks

• 2 years later...

@dunginhawk what theme did you use for your cocktail cab? I'm thinking of modding a cocktail cab and using my big box build on it. How do you get big box to launch in split screen (cocktail mode) smoothly while playing two players? I know mame has the settings but I just want to know how to get it to work within big box seamlessly.