LaunchBox Community Forums

Can someone please explain to me how the %romfile% variable is supposed to work?

cammelspit

Hey, I know that LB has a %romfile% variable that is supposed to allow you to have command line switches and such after the ROM path. Problem is, I simply cannot get it to work the way I want it to. when I add it to the command line variables the sample command comes out...

XXXX.exe %romfile% /c "FULL\PATH\TO\ROM\FILE"

But instead, it should be...

XXXX.exe "FULL\PATH\TO\ROM\FILE" /c

Unless, of course, I am missing entirely what I have to do to get this working how I want. Either way, the second example is what I want to actually be output to the command line.

I really hope someone knows how to do what I want. There is no specific documentation on these sorts of things so I ended up having to look through several months of changelogs because I knew it was there but I could not remember what variable to use in the first place.

Anyways, thanks, guys!

If you're trying to do this in the Edit Emulator window, I don't see a way to get the /c at the end. But you could use a batch file as your emulator and in the batch file you could run your emulator or exe with the command you want and in the order you want.

Edit:

I think the batch file would be something like this:

pathToFile\XXXX.exe %1 /c

or maybe with quotes:

pathToFile\XXXX.exe "%1" /c

Edited by ckp

What I posted there was just an example and the app I want to use MUST have at least one argument after the path. I know it can be done because Jason said it could be done but the bat file method is a possibility. Wee, the DEV stream is in about an hour right now so I can probably just ask Jason, he would know how. :)

Thanks anyways!

P.S. When I do figure it out I will post the procedure here so others will be able to find it in the future with a search.

It should be able to be used like that too, it's just that there's no way to do that in my specific scenario. If I only needed it to be directed to a single file I think that would work.

One thing to keep in mind is that when you add anything into a specific game's custom command line parameters field, it overrides anything that you have set as custom command line parameters in the emulator entry itself. I asked for an append command line parameters checkbox to be added to game entries so that you could either treat it like it works now or check that box and have it add anything you put in a game's custom command line parameters field to whatever you have specified at the emulator entry level. It hasn't happened yet though.

Yes, I am aware @Zombeaver thanks for the heads up. Yeah, the reason I want to use it this way is because I am trying to cascade more than one tool on the launch of any "game" from a custom platform. I know it may be silly to even want to do it this way but I am trying to assess the feasibility of using LB as a 100% replacement for actually loading and running tools and layered commands from the CLI and I have simply run across this need. Especially so I don't have to unload BB to load certain tools and apps.