LaunchBox Community Forums

App/config command-line parameters

5thWolf

I am curious if there is a app or config command-line parameter that will tell the game run at a certain resolution and certain color depth like 8-bit 256?

Preferable to affect windows without right clicking the game file and changing comparability options to do it. I run LaunchBox portable and several of my PCs will access it through the network. But some games like Syberia require 8-bit 256 color depth to function. So i need  command-line instructions in LB so it applies to any PC that launches through LB.

Thanks!

I seen several recommendations to use QRes, but that still limits me to the one PC with it installed. All the other PCs that don't have it installed will not be able to push the commands. And I am trying to avoid installing programs if possible.

Yea, there are some options in a games properties compatibility panel, but not necessarily these specific ones. Furthermore, I don't think a lot of this is default command line parameters, unless the game devs made them work. There are some basic ones that work across all programs, but devs can change or disable them.

It's possible that the software may run over a network too. I haven't inspected it, but if it's just loading config files, as long as it's looking in the right location or is portable, would that work?

I only know of a few command-lines (windows) like adding "-f" or "-fullscreen" will force the software to launch in full screen and there are memory ones and CPU core commands. There has to be commands for color depth or resolution.... I hope.

You might want to take a look at a scripting language called AutoIt for Windows. It lets you create a script that automates many of Windows' features, like changing screen resolution and color depth. You can then compile the script into a .exe file that can be accessed through a network.  You can then create a .bat script that will run the executable and then start the game and reference that path to the .bat in LB.  As a result, you will have to create a .bat for every game that you want the resolution changed for, which could be impractical when dealing with a ton of games unless you're able to create a script that will do it automatically. 

I've included an AutoIt script as an attachment to this post that will change the screen resolution.  You can view the script in a text editor such as Note++ but you will need AutoIt installed to run it or compile it as a .exe.

change_screen_resolution.au3

• Like 1

On 5/28/2017 at 7:25 PM, wolf said:

I only know of a few command-lines (windows) like adding "-f" or "-fullscreen" will force the software to launch in full screen and there are memory ones and CPU core commands. There has to be commands for color depth or resolution.... I hope.

Command-line arguments are specific to the emulator that is being used.  Different emulators have different command-line arguments. You might want to take a look at the list of command-line arguments for the emulator that you are using to see if there is a command argument that will let you define a particular resolution. 

I should add that you probably what to place the change_screen_resolution.exe file in the same folder as LaunchBox, as LaunchBox will probably use that folder as the root directory and then have LaunchBox execute that script preferably with the Additional App option in LaunchBox.

Edited by ghettoandroid