LaunchBox Community Forums

[Suggestion] Emulator compatibility Notes

avaris

hey, i've always had troubles with a few of my "newer" consoles and their games when it comes to checking if they work. I've noticed emulator such as Project64, Dolphin and a few others already got integrated compatibility list for the games you've listed, with notes of issues and possible fixes for them. It looks something like this or this.

I was thinking if theres a way to create a plugin, or perhaps an official integration into launchbox where you can view (depending on your emulator) notes / playable status for each game. Since there is wikis for most of the emulators with compatibility lists I'm guessing that's where this feature would be connected towards. 

An example how it COULD look inside Bigbox: 

This would personally save me so much time. ^_^

EDIT: I made an bitbucket request so if you want it to be more seen please vote here.

Edited by avaris

16 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

Nice idea but my god it would be time consuming to keep it up to date. You would have to know each and every version of every emulator and its compatibility lists.

Of course someone will come along with a plugin that does it and prove me wrong :P

If its connected to the emulators wikis it wouldn't require any update, if thats even possible to begin with. Also i'm guessing that it would just use the newest version or 'stable release'  of the emulator ^_^

25 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

I'm sure it would be fine with the more "main stream" emulators like Dolphin, PPSSPP or maybe the Retroarch cores but once you dive into the lesser known or not so "kept up to date" emulators like SSF it becomes a nightmare.

yeah definitely, but if just focusing on the more known emulators then this would be amazing ^_^

Yea, that could work if we hooked it up to the Database for example, but the only problem is that one size does not fit all. So the issue then becomes, who moderates and add's this because I am learning the more people that work on stuff, the more complicated and messed up it becomes. @Vlansix is trying to help solve some of those issues on the Database, but majority can't rule on this one. Compatibility also needs to come along with a users PC Spec, LB version, Emulator version, etc. This is a good idea, but how do we manage it.

On 2017-06-13 at 0:09 AM, SentaiBrad said:

Yea, that could work if we hooked it up to the Database for example, but the only problem is that one size does not fit all. So the issue then becomes, who moderates and add's this because I am learning the more people that work on stuff, the more complicated and messed up it becomes. @Vlansix is trying to help solve some of those issues on the Database, but majority can't rule on this one. Compatibility also needs to come along with a users PC Spec, LB version, Emulator version, etc. This is a good idea, but how do we manage it.

Indeed if this is an official integration into Launchbox i'd imagine PC Specs, Emulator version etc would be included. But honestly in my opinion i would just want to see if my game runs good or bad with not many details and I think just the Star/rating Feature for Compatibility would alone be greatly appreciated by a lot of people.

Edited by avaris