LaunchBox Community Forums

My Arcade Build: Big Box & Virtual Reality

That's a great feature.  Importing now without the filler & combining ROMs :)

do you prefer prioritizing emumovies content over LB database?   I wasn't use because I have no frame of reference.  Probably personal preference?   Not sure if one better than other, or if priority of content can be changed after games imported.  

How it all looks low priority right now.  Just want to get first system dialed in and learn controller setups first.  

Well I imported all my mame games (took forever), but now I'm having issues.   I'm sure I set something up wrong or missed a step.  

When I try to launch any game from any platform list, I get the error "The file you've specified for the emulator application path was not found"

When I imported into Launchbox, I chose to "use the files in their current location", as I didn't want to duplicate them.   All my split ROMs & CHDs are in their own folder on my D: drive, separated into folders based on each system (mame, atari 2600, etc).  

Perhaps I setup the retroarch emulator incorrectly?   Is retroarch looking for the ROMs in the wrong place?  

I downloaded "mame_libretro.dll" core in retroarch, and it says the the version (0.188) matches my split ROMs & chd sets (0.188).   I also added an "Arcade" associated platform, and entered ("-L "cores\mame_libretro.dll") as the default command line parameter.  I also checked all the boxes to make retroarch the default emulator.

What am I missing?

IMG_1355.thumb.JPG.a47b28f57e6a4a7e43994a57bd985706.JPGIMG_1356.thumb.JPG.7dc66297f4bc760c7d9d99f509a3a3ab.JPG

37 minutes ago, Hoakypoaky said:

Perhaps I setup the retroarch emulator incorrectly?   Is retroarch looking for the ROMs in the wrong place?

Retroarch doesn't need a "roms folder" path set like the stand alone Mame does.

38 minutes ago, Hoakypoaky said:

When I try to launch any game from any platform list, I get the error "The file you've specified for the emulator application path was not found"

This error is telling me your emulator is not located where you are telling it for some reason.

What is the full path of the emulator ?

For example mine is:
H:\Emulation\Emulators\Retroarch 1.6.0\

I have seen some cases if a path is really long it can can exceed a character limit and that can cause issues.

Well more pressing use is that my xtension control panel is jacked, and doing some really weird stuff (like fast forwarding game to end of credit when pressing button coded to space Bar?  

I need to stop & learn how to configure two joystick inputs/buttons for MAME through retroarch, then apply those general controls to all mame games & adjust each game invididually if needed.   My panel has two 8way/6button setups, a dedicated 4way/2button setup, trackball & spinner/2button setup.  

I just need to dial in an overall control config in Mame retroarch, but no idea how to do that.  

Another dumb question.   There's a lot of games imported that I have zero interest in playing.   Is it easier to delete them from Launchbox (but keep the ROMs in case of needed parent file), or create a custom favorites playlist for each system?

im just curious how you prefer to organize & manage your games list.   No need for 20 Japanese baseball games, etc

2 hours ago, Hoakypoaky said:

And if I decided to do that, I would just change my emulator path to the stand alone mame emulator right?

Correct, you would use the bulk edit tool to change the emulator.

How do you config controls with the stand alone.  Via the in game menu?

In Mame you would press the Tab key which brings up a menu which you can configure general controls which would be the default for all games and then you can configure controls on a per game basis.

There's a lot of games imported that I have zero interest in playing.   Is it easier to delete them from Launchbox (but keep the ROMs in case of needed parent file), or create a custom favorites playlist for each system?

That would be up to you, there is no right or wrong way, just which way you prefer.

im just curious how you prefer to organize & manage your games list

Personally I just have the big collection and games favourited which are at the top. Probably not the best way but works for me.

I understand how to change the emulator to the stand alone & pick the allocation path, but what about the associated platform tab & the dll file?   

im playing around with the tab key & individual config for each game now while using retroarch, but The games aren't recognizing my trackball (on say crystal castles) or spinner (on tempest).   All those control do is move the mouse cursor around.  This is my control panel layout, if it helps

IMG_1332.thumb.PNG.f9a4f0b7a155d9e885444cc60d45c425.PNG

I don't mind the difficulties I'm running into, it's just frustrating when you have little background in programming, and you have no idea where to find solutions.  

14 minutes ago, Hoakypoaky said:

but what about the associated platform tab & the dll file?

When you change the emulator the Associated Platforms window changes so you wont see all the command line parameters associated with Retroarch, those are for Retroarch. You will have to set an Associated Platform which would be Arcade and then any command line parameters you may need. You don't need any command line parameters if you don't want, you can set everything in the mame.ini file.

16 minutes ago, Hoakypoaky said:

The games aren't recognizing my trackball (on say crystal castles) or spinner (on tempest).

You will need to tell those games to use a mouse which is what the trackball is.

17 minutes ago, Hoakypoaky said:

it's just frustrating when you have little background in programming, and you have no idea where to find solutions.

Don't worry about it, I have no programming background either. I simply hammer at it and learn and when I am stuck I use Google :)