LaunchBox Community Forums

Game Boy Retroarch won't launch

So far I have figured out SNES, Genesis, GBA, NES and N64.  But I'm stuck on regular old gameboy.  I can fire up Retroarch and load the .gb roms using the same gambatte core and play fine.  But I can't get games to launch from Launchbox.

I have tried going to other emulators and back to Retroarch.  I've tried applying other shaders.  No go.

I am suspicious that there is only a GBC listing here (and not a GB listing):

Any clues?

Are you trying to load the same game through LB as you are loading from outside ?

I'm asking because while gambatte doesn't require bios files it does support them as an option and that generally adds compatibility. I'm just thinking maybe the game you are trying is one of those games that may need bios. I am just guessing here at this point since you say other cores are working just fine for you.

• 2 years later...

I'm having an issue where Nintendo Game Boy  (as scraped by launchbox) isn't even in my retroarch associated platforms list TO check the box to make it a default emulator.  It only shows Game boy advance, game boy color, game cube, and virtual boy.   I'm using the gear boy core and have everything working in retroarch outside of launchbox.  I don't understand why launchbox doesn't show Nintendo Game Boy in the list of associated platforms?

EDIT:  Just found out by accident that you could double-click the bottom cell to add a new entry into the associated platforms list.  Would have been nice to have some tiny text somewhere that said you could do that.

Edited by damageinc86

• 2 years later...
On 8/5/2019 at 9:19 PM, damageinc86 said:

I'm having an issue where Nintendo Game Boy  (as scraped by launchbox) isn't even in my retroarch associated platforms list TO check the box to make it a default emulator.  It only shows Game boy advance, game boy color, game cube, and virtual boy.   I'm using the gear boy core and have everything working in retroarch outside of launchbox.  I don't understand why launchbox doesn't show Nintendo Game Boy in the list of associated platforms?

EDIT:  Just found out by accident that you could double-click the bottom cell to add a new entry into the associated platforms list.  Would have been nice to have some tiny text somewhere that said you could do that.

Thank you so much for posting this.  I was stumped with the same issue until I realized you could add your own platforms in the bottom field box.