LaunchBox Community Forums

Same emulator for different controller layout

hardhead241

I didn't see this on the forums or anywhere on the web. Is there a way where you can have the same emulator and have a  different control setup. What I want to do is have a an emulator like dolphin for example and have a control setup for 4 arcade sticks then 4 wireless xbox controllers where you can change seamlessly. Everyone either uses the controllers or the arcade sticks. I'm running Demul, Dolphin, Retroarch, Cemu, Pcx, and pcx2. Thanks!

Add the new emulator into Launchbox like you would for any other emulator, just label it something that makes sense to you. Then you can assign specific games to that specific emulator.

As for easily switching between emulators within BigBox mode right now there is no easy way unfortunately to do that right now but it may very well be on the "to-do list".

Might be a huge hassle but could they set up the same game as an alternate version and have that one always launch using the other emulator? It seems feasible but probably only realistic if you want to do it for just a few gams.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Retroarch will work fine without any extra configuration. If your arcade sticks are xinput, then you won't have any trouble mixing and matching with pcsx2 or dolphin either. Demul maps controls to specific device id and there is not way to do anything at all sophisticated in the command line. You will have to configure two or more separate instances for that emulators, with each control setup, and then load them in as alternate options for games or create multiple emulators.

There are several ps1 core in retroarch you can use, including epsxe, pcsx REarmed, and my preference in mednafen (beetle). I would recommend running ps1 games using one of those cores for the most flexibility with controllers. 

I don't know enough about Cemu to comment. What you want to do can be done, it will just take some work.