LaunchBox Community Forums

Upgrading OS

sw1fty808

Hi

I am going to be upgrading my Windows 7 to Windows 10 and was wondering how to most smoothly transition my Launchbox/Bigbox setup.

Windows 10 will be a fresh install on a brand new drive.
Launchbox is not currently installed on the system drive. It is on different drive where intend to keep it. All games and media are also kept off of the system drive.

Will I require a fresh install of Launchbox and if so, which files from my current install will I need to move over into the fresh install of Launchbox?

Thank you.

Thank you. That is awesome news. I really hope you're right.

I know this isn't Launchbox related but do you think that will be the case with other programs too? 
I'm not sure what dependent files get copied to the system drive registry even when you install a program onto a different drive.

Other programs you may or may not need to resinstall, that really will be on a per program basis.

Launchbox is designed to be portable so as long as your rom folder locations aren't changing drive letters or anything it should be fine outside of the dependencies I described in my first post.

One thing that might happen is that you might have to do some reconfiguration of any emulator that stores your emulator configs in your user profile directory (some do, and you might not even know it). Like, you may well have to reconfigure Dolphin for example. Unless you have managed to configure all your emulators to be completely portable.

Also, I wouldn't update to or install Win 10 Creators Update version if I were you. I would recommend staying at the version before that which is 1607.

I'm delighted to report that the switch went very smoothly. Launchbox loaded right off the bat like nothing had changed. Big Box needed some kind of library files which required reinstalling but I just installed right on top of the existing files.
Took just moments and nothing was lost.

Thanks for the advice.