LaunchBox Community Forums

Default marquee for ROMS that dont have an image?

Super_Paulie

its cool, im happy with what i have got, it works well. The code is just quite a steep learning curve to do in work time!

Another quickie, how do i reference the games title?

im WheelGamesView im making a custom screen but cant find any reference to the game title syntax, can anyone shed any light on that? i assume its: <TextBlock Text="{Binding Path=ActiveGame.XXX}"

XXX is the myserty for my currently.

Cheers guys, enjoying trying to figure this out.

18 minutes ago, Super_Paulie said:

its cool, im happy with what i have got, it works well. The code is just quite a steep learning curve to do in work time!

Another quickie, how do i reference the games title?

im WheelGamesView im making a custom screen but cant find any reference to the game title syntax, can anyone shed any light on that? i assume its: <TextBlock Text="{Binding Path=ActiveGame.XXX}"

XXX is the myserty for my currently.

Cheers guys, enjoying trying to figure this out.

Looks like you're on the right path there. ActiveGame.Title should work I believe.

5 hours ago, Super_Paulie said:

thanks Jason, thats worked. Is there a list of the ActiveGame items and their syntax? i have looked but cant find a definitive list. Love the program Jason, it reminds me of the old Symbian OS that was on the Nokia phones.

Here you go: http://pluginapi.launchbox-app.com/html/b33d2055-e2be-3f42-12c6-adbc5668f454.htm

excellent! Sorry for all the questions here, i know i must be hard work!

Is there a way to add a border or show the grid on screen, so to help with placement? so that once you are happy you can then remove the border?

** actually i can use coloured blocks to recreate this, see attached. I have to admit i am quite enjoying this coding malarky even though  i am basically trial and erroring it. **

Also can you use any font you like, as the font i did want to use simply wont show. I assumed you just reference the actual name of the font?

Thanks guys!

Capture9.PNG

Edited by Super_Paulie
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Super_Paulie said:

excellent! Sorry for all the questions here, i know i must be hard work!

Is there a way to add a border or show the grid on screen, so to help with placement? so that once you are happy you can then remove the border?

** actually i can use coloured blocks to recreate this, see attached. I have to admit i am quite enjoying this coding malarky even though  i am basically trial and erroring it. **

Also can you use any font you like, as the font i did want to use simply wont show. I assumed you just reference the actual name of the font?

Thanks guys!

Capture9.PNG

That's probably a good way to do it honestly, with the colored blocks. I do similar things myself. As long as the font is installed it should work just to reference it by name, yes.

Hmm, i haven't been able to get the font to change to anything other than aerial or segoe I think for some reason. I am using textblock but it just won't pick the fonts up, I'm naming them exactly as they are in the fonts folder. Not the end of the world but I did have a Font in mind.

**worked it out, for some reason it doesnt like the font i had in mind and various other ones so i think there is a limitation there maybe. I have found on very similar that works though!

Thanks a lot guys.

Edited by Super_Paulie
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...

Hey, 

This thread was just what I was looking for, nice work. 

Things are working slightly differently for me, I've got the blur and the clear logo appearing in the grid just fine, that looks great!

But the third line which is meant to display the actual marquee file if there is one, is displaying the box art over the top of every clear logo marquee. Looking at the code this is expected, I can see this is due to the image priority applying the box art as there is no marquee image, but how did you prevent this from happening to every one? How did you tell it NOT to use the box art as second priority when marquee image isn't there? 

Cheers

• 7 months later...
On 11/1/2018 at 8:17 AM, RetroHumanoid said:

Read through the thread, new question I think.  We have our BigBox build underway and have our marquee prototype working!  Loving it.  There are many marquees that we would like to remove from our folder and replace with a default marquee for one reason or another.  I have been in this folder (LaunchBox\Themes\Marquee Default\Views) and have made a slight tweak to move the marquee to the top center of our 4:3 monitor.  I am wondering if there is a line or two of code we could add in that games marquee view xml file that said, "If there is no marquee, then use this image"?  Then we would go in and delete the ones we don't want and it would pull in our default marquee we built.  One concern with this approach is that when / if we update artwork (from emumovies for example) it will just add those we deleted back in.  Sorry if this has been discussed before.  Thanks for any thoughts.  Nate 

p.s. working with my adult son to build a machine for him, so awesome.  LOVE the new high score feature, it has raised the stakes and we are trying to one up each other daily to climb the leaderboard.  20200511_181106.thumb.jpg.3bb8418f6a74c011cb556241138c8a0e.jpg20200514_122119.thumb.jpg.065a05a74fcc1c79736a87da34b1255c.jpg

• Game On 1

@natedog Very cool, and good to hear. I don't really have a solution for the issue of it re-downloading artwork that you don't want, other than to just uncheck those categories so new media doesn't download for those categories. In theory, you can just put your default image into the XAML directly, and then if the image is available it can just put it over top. That might have some issues though with the transitions. Otherwise, there are some more complicated solutions, but I don't have the XAML for them readily available (I'd have to hunt through all the themes on the forums).