LaunchBox Community Forums

Need help fixing ROM paths with Notepad++

edugr10

Hey guys,

I recently got a new PC with a new Windows installation, but I still have my old HDD with the LaunchBox folder. For reasons I can't really control my ROMs are now in a different drive, so I read around these forums that using Search and Replace in Notepad++ can fix this. The problem is, my LaunchBox.xml file doesn't really make it apparent what path the ROMs are at. Using SNES as an example, this is what I see:

<ApplicationPath>..\..\..\Prime\E\Emuladores\SNES\ROMs\Super Castlevania IV (U) [!].smc</ApplicationPath>

What happened with my PC is that the ROMs moved from the C: drive to the F: drive. But I can't edit the letters because they don't show up in the .xml. 

I tried fixing Super Castlevania manually by searching for the correct file again in LaunchBox itself, and the game now works, but the path stayed the same as above. So what I'm looking at now are these two examples, where one game works and the other doesn't, even though their paths are identical in the .xml file:

<ApplicationPath>..\..\..\Prime\E\Emuladores\SNES\ROMs\Super Castlevania IV (U) [!].smc</ApplicationPath>

<ApplicationPath>..\..\..\Prime\E\Emuladores\SNES\ROMs\Super Mario World (U) [!].smc</ApplicationPath>

SMW is just an example of a game that doesn't work, every SNES game has the same path, and the only one that works is SCIV because I edited it manually.

So how do I go about fixing this in a way that I don't need to individually search again for every ROM file in LaunchBox?

Thanks

Edited by edugr10

3 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

Yeah I did and what's in that guide still applies.

Fill in the Find What box with:
..\..\..\Prime\E\Emuladores\SNES\ROMs\

and in the Replace With box put the full path of the folder where the roms for that specific platform are.
example:
F:\path\to\Roms\Snes\

Thank you for clarifying that, I'm gonna give it a try.  Still wondering why it's all "..." in the first place, even after I changed the path for one of the roms.

I tried it but it says it can't find any occurrences. Took a print screen of it. I kinda had a feeling the ../../../ was just masking the actual path so I also tried using the correct previous path (C:/Prime/etc), but still no occurrences.

Sem título-1.png

Edited by edugr10

Yes, I was about to update here to say that I unchecked "whole word" and it worked, everything is replaced. However I still get a "the ROM file you specified does not exist" when I try to open any of them. If I go to "Edit", the path still shows the ../../../. The XML file is saved and it showing the correct F: path for each ROM. Also tried re-launching LaunchBox multiple times.

Just now, edugr10 said:

Another thing I should mention is I had to also move the entire LaunchBox folder to a new location after the Windows reinstall. Could this be the cause?

That should not have any effect on it working or not.

Not sure what to tell you then other than make sure the rom path is 100% correct or try updating to the beta and use the bulk edit rompath tool.

I have done the Notepad++ way to change my rom paths before and even when I did it for that guide I linked I did it as I did the guide with my tester install of Launchbox.

Thanks. I guess I'll wait until this function comes out of Beta just to be safe. Is there a release window? I'm not too much of a hurry. I can manually edit the games I actually want to play in the mean time.

Edited by edugr10

100% sure the path of the actual location of the ROMs is typed correctly. 100% sure the xml file is saved. The change simply doesn't reflect on the actual path of the games in LaunchBox. When I go into Edit mode with an individual Snes ROM this is what I see:

..\..\..\Prime\E\Emuladores\SNES\ROMs\Super Bonk (U).smc

And the one game I fixed manually appears like this: 

..\SNES\ROMs\Super Castlevania IV (U) [!].smc

It's the only one that's different. And I don't know why it still shows ".." instead of F:/.

Just to be 1000% sure, the xml file in question is LaunchBox.xml that sits in the root of the main LaunchBox folder, right?

I just don't know what else to do. :(

Edited by edugr10

3 minutes ago, edugr10 said:

Just to be 1000% sure, the xml file in question is LaunchBox.xml that sits in the root of the main LaunchBox folder, right?

No, you need to edit the specific platform .xml file found in the \data\platforms\ folder.

Another option is to remove your games from the the platform in Launchbox and then re-import them. You won't need to re-download the images since those will still be there so it will be fairly quick.