LaunchBox Community Forums

Big Box Crashing - Please help!

Mr.Laor

Hi Folks,

I love Launchbox and started making good progress installing multiple platforms and games.

Everything was going fine until this morning. I already installed Arcade, multiple Atari consoles, Super Nintendo, and WonderSwan with no problems. This morning I tried to install my Genesis library, and when it had completed and I tried to launch Big Box, it crashed Launchbox and won't open Big Box. It is possible that I adjusted something minor in between last night and today and don't know what it was (I did move certain media files - manuals, images, and videos) to another drive - but I've been doing that all along with no problem. I've since deleted the Genesis platform, but still no luck.

So now, Launchbox starts with no problems.  Games load without any problems. But when I try to Launch Big Box from within Launchbox, it crashes Launchbox, I see a very brief working symbol (Windows blue swirl) and then nothing. I don't see it in task manager either.

When I try to Launch Big Box from outside of Launchbox, nothing loads either - but it doesn't crash Launchbox. Launchbox stays open.

I'm on  Windows 10, pretty new machine. Large library but using SSD for Launchbox and media folder.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Update - I installed another instance of Launchbox on another drive and test imported one game - and Big Box works fine. So clearly I messed up something on the other installation. If all else fails, how can I move my library (not the actual roms), media, and playlists over to this new installation of Launchbox?

Edited by Mr.Laor

Does BB launch on its own when Launchbox.exe isn't running at all?

If not, I'd suspect a problem in your bigbox xml file inside the data folder. You can try replacing with an older backup of that file in the backup folder (maybe copy and save the bad one somewhere else first)

Unfortunately, a reinstall over itself or to a new location doesn't really  solve the bug(s) in the product that cause the bad state in the first place, assuming xml files aren't tampered with manually by the user. It's too bad users have to keep reinstalling, rather than getting the real problem solved.

Edited by ckp

Well, to be honest we really don't know where this particular issue resided. It could of been user error, it could just of easily been a bug. I will say that personally, i only had to reinstall on top of my current install back when i found the program and was messing with stuff a lot. It's not the recommended solution at all, but if it works, and the user is happy then so be it.

I'm having this very same issue and cannot resolve and could really, really use some help. I've copied my launchbox folder to another drive for backup purposes, uninstalled LB from it's original location and re-installed twice hoping to get rid of whatever gremlins are lurking, but BB still will not launch. It closes out LB altogether. I've reinstalled all my VC++ files which was the fix in past happenings after a W10 update, but BB just. doesn't. want. to. open :( Any help is greatly appreciated.