LaunchBox Community Forums

Retroarch

Kmetz7547

How the hell do u save per system in retroarch.  I set my SNES controls up with SNES retro controller as well as hot keys.  Menu toggle becomes f1 and my desired key on pad but when in game,  f1 no longer works,  nor escape to get out of game.  All I did was enable configuration to save per core.  Please help

There are two way's to save controller bindings in retroarch, the first is in the main UI under Input where you can also adjust hotkeys, it sounds like you used this method. For this method you need to be in Retroarch without a core or game loaded, and once you have finished you go back to  the first part of the menu and save current configuration. See first two screenshots.

The way to save per core controller configs is to to load a game with the core you want to change the controls for and enter the quick menu then controls, change the controls to how you want them, then in the same menu is a "save core remap" option, just select that when you are done and it will save the controls for just that core and auto load them when you next launch that core. See screenshots 3 and 4.

Hope that helps.

Screenshot (245).png

Screenshot (246).png

Screenshot (248).png

Screenshot (249).png

Awesome..  I feel like I'm getting somewhere..  Bit when I go into quick menu within a game to change the controls for that system..  My controller don't show up...  Just "retro pad". My controller does show up in input binds menu as "USB controller" but not in quick start menu.  Any ideas?  

I'm trying to use separate system USB controllers per system I play....  thanks

I think that is normal, it will have slightly different names depending on the core in use. For example if you are in the genesis gx core you can cycle through retro pad, 3 button and 6 button pads. So i think the label retro pad is just a default name for the standard controller for the selected system. So long story short, you should set your controls under the retro pad.

The only way I can setup a different controller each time is by going to the user binds while I'm in the current system.  But then if I exit retroarch with "save configurations on exit"  turned on, the binds don't save.  If I exit with "save current configiration" the hotkey binds don't save.  If I exit with "save new configuration" it works until I exit launchbox and reenter that system...  Then it don't work again..  I'm so confused with these options

Just now, Kmetz7547 said:

So setup each controller via each system in input binds,  then back into quick start and clock core remap in the controls section?  I'll try it

What you want is to load a game that uses the core you want to change the controls on, hit f1 to bring up the menu and navigate to the section simply called controls, which is in the quick menu, adjust as you see fit then select the "save core remap" which is in the same control menu, that will save those specific controls for that specific core, which will then auto load every time you launch that core in future.

2 problems

1. My controller does not work unless i set it up in the input binds section.

2. Another confusion is more about the hotkeys. I set up my controller in the input hotkey binds section to do various tasks (like exit retroarch,  menu toggle,  save and load state, etc)  but when I go to save controls in quick menu,  it doesn't save the hotkey binds when I exit..  It will save them if I put save current config bit then when I go to another system,  I have to reset up that for the other controller. 

I tried that,  bit it will then only save the input binds for the controller I setup.  Once I plug in a different controller while on a different system,  it doesn't work.  I have to rebind all buttons for that new controller which then disables my original.  I've tried doing alot of research on setting up different controllers for different systems in retroarch and I can't find a solution.  Do most people just use 1 controller for all the systems?