LaunchBox Community Forums

RetroArch Beetle PSX HW and LaunchBox

maclem8223

I'm not a noob, per say, to LaunchBox.  I've set it up several times on different machines but I can't figure this one out.  I can't get Beetle PSX HW to load when clicking on a game in LaunchBox.  Loading it directly from RetroArch is working flawlessly.  Under associated platforms for RetroArch the parameters for Playstation are cores\mednafen_psx_libretro.dll .  Is this correct for Beetle PSX HW?  I am not sure.  Any help would be appreciated.  

12 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

You need to add the "hw" to the command line, so mednafen_psx_hw_libretro.dll.

Well that was simple, guess Noob section was the right one for me...lol.  Now to figure out the settings for Beetle to get it to run smoothly.  Shouldn't have any system problems.  i5 6500, 1050ti, and 16GB RAM.  Time to scour the webs for the best settings to use when upscaling; running pretty rough right now.  Thanks for the help!

20 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

I have a i5 3570k 16gb ram and a 1060, i upped the internal resolution to 16X and it runs just fine.

Yeah, sound is crap and video is running really slow.  Main rig is a 6700k, 16GB, and a 1080ti; however, that is in the office and LaunchBox is meant for my HTPC in the living room.  

What are your settings under options?

Edited by maclem8223
Question...

Thanks for that.  No difference on my end, sound is still crap and video/controls are still really slow.  Fresh install on this machine, so I'll have to play with it later.  May just have to go back to epsxe... :(

Edited by maclem8223

14 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

Are  you playing on a TV ?

If yes check your display settings and make sure it's set to 60 Hz.

Yes and......  Ran into this issue with CEMU.  Frame rate tester is showing 30hz, need to figure out how I fixed this last time.  Aargh.....

Thanks for the tip.

1 minute ago, lordmonkus said:

If your TV is running at 30 Hz you should be able to change it in the Windows display settings unless your TV is locked for some reason.

Checking now.  It is definitely not locked as I've done this before; just need to remember how.  It's a Sammy 65" KS8000 (awesome display btw) and all inputs are set to UHD so it is definitely on the pc side.  Be back in a sec..........

26 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

It will be in the nvidia control panel under change resolution, there will be a little dropdown for refresh rate.

Screenshot (259).png

That I know, but the Nvidia control panel is no where to be found right now.  All sorts of random issues today.  Fixing it now......hopefully.

This is a new pc I  threw together literally just for LaunchBox.  All I needed was the gpu.  So I'm running into problems that I have had before.  Love me some LaunchBox.  Once I get everything situated I will be getting a lifetime sub to Big Box

Edited by maclem8223

4 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Cool, good catch @lordmonkus. @maclem8223 glad you are all squared away enjoy your games. :) 

Yes, great catch.  I hadn't played any games on this pc yet, was just getting everything setup; so I didn't even think about refresh rate being an issue.  Just paid for a lifetime sub to BigBox.  Will probably stay open 24/7 on this pc, as that is all it was built for.  Great product, great support, couldn't ask for more.  Thank you to you both for the help.  I'm keeping the settings for psx at 16x on the resolution, pretty sure the 6500 and 1050ti can handle it no?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

I would think you could get away with 16X, if not just drop it down to the next step and try again. I did try 32X but that just instantly crashes Retroarch when i load a game on my system, so i dropped it to 16X and that is just fine.

LOL, that is a big jump.  Being honest, even 4x would be an improvement over the original PS1.  16x worked great for the bit of time I played with it on the original Tony Hawk (Love that game!).  Wife is off work now so I can't play anymore; we have a few Game of Thrones episodes to catch up on. :)

Edited by maclem8223

• 5 years later...
On 7/28/2017 at 12:52 PM, neil9000 said:

You need to add the "hw" to the command line, so mednafen_psx_hw_libretro.dll.

Hi neil. I'm sorry for bumping this old thread, but I'm having the same problem and for the life of me, can't get LB to launch my Saturn games with the Mednafen core. I saw your suggestion to add the "hw" to the command line, but I don't understand.....where exactly do you add this line? I tried adding it next to the "-f" under the "Extra Command-Line Parameters" column, but nothing happens and the game won't launch. Can you please tell me what I'm doing wrong? I'm desperately trying to get LB to launch RA with this darn Mednafen(Beetle) core.