LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox slow on USB Harddrive

GuroDragon

I recently copied my games library and launch box program from my 4TB Western Digital Red hard drive to a 8TB (WDBCKA0080HBK-NESN) USB 3.0 external hard drive.

There is some slight lag on the internal drive but its really was not that bad but on the external drive it can barely cache the images and near crashes frequently.

I have turned off legacy USB support in my computer bios but it did not speed things up much, any suggestions?

Library 59,000+

i7-3770

16 GB Ram

GTX1080

Edited by GuroDragon

23 hours ago, ckp said:

you may also want to run CrystalDiskMark on your usb 3 drive to see if it's getting the speed you want and expect. 

I tested the drive it is actully 60% faster than my internal drive (which is a few years now), some how my USB drive was formatted to exFAT which is odd and I have no idea how that happened. I reformated to NTFS and I'm running better than ever......Thanks for the help.

• 1 year later...

Hmmm, well I'm 75% done xfering to an exFAT formated usb stick... I guess we will see how slow it actually is for Launchbox and GOG. (using on a GPD Win2) . I guess based on above I may have to reformatted to NTFS (since it will pretty much only be used on Win2) if it seems slow...  Good info above though, thx!!