LaunchBox Community Forums

Noob sort of need help..yes!

oilersman

HI guys, been awhile since ive played some ol mame games. Really need help here, where do i start? I have a couple hundred mame roms and of course none can be played in launchbox. I do have a 20' screen in the mancave so i was hoping if this works i can go on to BigBox. But anyway, is there a rom set complete with a working mame EMU that i can find or even buy? Just dont have the time to fiddle so much. Just wondering if anyone can help me here? Thanks.

Ok just to address the first big thing here. You should never ever buy Mame and most importantly roms. Buying Mame and roms outside of legally licensed products is illegal and we will neither tell you where to do such things and in fact we highly suggest you never do this. We suggest this for a couple of reasons, reason one is it is illegal. Reason two, you have no idea what version of it is. Reason 3, you have no guarantees of it working and you have no idea what kind of shitware they have bundled with it. Reason 4, something will go wrong and you won't know how to fix it, building your own is not too difficult and you will learn how to fix things when they do go wrong.

There are some complete rom sets on the internet and while I cannot (for legal reasons) provide direct links to where to get them I will give you search terms that you can Google and you should find what you are looking for quickly.

"organization of archives"

"paradise of emus"

"dome of pleasure"

The first too will have somewhat older sets but will still have most likely 99.9% of everything you would ever want to play. The last one will have the most up to date sets but you will have to register and be ok with using torrent.

If you are new to Mame I would suggest taking a look at my guide I wrote for beginners to it.

• Like 1

Just because some roms work with Mame 173 and others don't does not mean your rom set is 173. Roms from older romsets can often work with newer Mame builds.

Why so many wont work though is because over the years rom dumps have changed due to older ones being bad dumps and getting replaced with proper dumps. Or in some cases like recently with the Capcom CPS2 they finally emulated the encryption chip which is now included in the newer roms.

Thanks for your assistance. I've been working in LB and see that it may not be possible to have a list of Mame Roms and have more than one emulator. I thought there might be a way to edit one individual game and choose a different version of Mame to run it. I'm thinking a whole diff Rom set is the way to go. I'll go study up more with your guides and info. Thanks so much. 

you can right click on any individual game in LB and then edit the emulator for that specific game. Or you can use ctrl+left click and choose multiple games and then right click and edit and change the emulator for just the selected games

Edited by DOS76