LaunchBox Community Forums

Recess in Greece

Chlain

• 2 weeks later...

I can't find much info on it, but it's possible that it requires 3.1+ yes. I've actually got instances of 3.1 and 95 setup in DOSBox. 3.1 is fairly straightforward, but 95 was quite a chore to get up and running in DOSBox. There are quite a few tutorials on how to do both, but I'd definitely start with 3.1.

I've been focusing on adding some 3.1 stuff to my library lately:

9: The Last Resort
Burn:Cycle
Crusader: Adventure Out of Time
Dark Seed II
Dust: A Tale of the Wired West
Four-Sight
Gadget: Invention, Travel, Adventure
Johnny Mnemonic
Logical Journey of the Zoombinis
Majestic Part 1: Alien Encounter
Panic In The Park
The Dark Eye
The Journeyman Project Turbo!
Titanic: Adventure Out Of Time

Once you get your 3.1 instance setup, you can just duplicate it for specific games (it's only about 50MB), boot it up, install the game, and then add the path to the game .exe to the run= field in the Win.ini file (\Windows\Win.ini) and it'll boot the game as soon as the 3.1 OS starts. Pretty handy.

• 1 month later...
On 9/8/2017 at 10:54 AM, Zombeaver said:

I can't find much info on it, but it's possible that it requires 3.1+ yes. I've actually got instances of 3.1 and 95 setup in DOSBox. 3.1 is fairly straightforward, but 95 was quite a chore to get up and running in DOSBox. There are quite a few tutorials on how to do both, but I'd definitely start with 3.1.

I've been focusing on adding some 3.1 stuff to my library lately:

9: The Last Resort
Burn:Cycle
Crusader: Adventure Out of Time
Dark Seed II
Dust: A Tale of the Wired West
Four-Sight
Gadget: Invention, Travel, Adventure
Johnny Mnemonic
Logical Journey of the Zoombinis
Majestic Part 1: Alien Encounter
Panic In The Park
The Dark Eye
The Journeyman Project Turbo!
Titanic: Adventure Out Of Time

Once you get your 3.1 instance setup, you can just duplicate it for specific games (it's only about 50MB), boot it up, install the game, and then add the path to the game .exe to the run= field in the Win.ini file (\Windows\Win.ini) and it'll boot the game as soon as the 3.1 OS starts. Pretty handy.

I want to play Dust again pretty bad, but I just haven't taken the jump into OS inception yet :p. 

3 hours ago, mothergoose729 said:

I want to play Dust again pretty bad, but I just haven't taken the jump into OS inception yet :p. 

3.1 is actually really easy to setup in DOSBox. And the cool part is once you do, you can save that install as a "base", and copy it into a new folder and install the specific game into it, set it up to autoboot the game when the OS launches, and then just import it into LB and it's good to go like any other game. The whole setup process for new games is only a couple of minutes once you get used to doing them.

95 is a good deal more complicated but definitely doable. I've basically got a 95 environment setup and haven't done much else with it yet. I've been focusing on 3.1 games for the time being. There are actually quite a few interesting and cool games for 3.1 - especially if you like first-person adventure/puzzle games.