LaunchBox Community Forums

[Request] Change default emulator for game in Big Box

Bri Bri

I just installed the latest beta and the "Open with" feature that's now available in Big Box is great! It's important to me that I be able to select any of my emulators for a particular platform, because for some platforms you have to use a specific emulator for a certain game.

However, I'd really like to be able to set the default emulator for a game once I figure out which one works best. I can do this in LaunchBox of course by right-clicking the game, picking edit, and then changing the emulator, but my PC is meant to be a living room gaming system with no keyboard or mouse, so that's not viable.

Is there a way to do this? If not, is anybody else interested in this? Perhaps I should I make a feature request?

Also, I'm an experienced programmer, so maybe I could slap together a plug-in that allows this. I *think* the plugin API would let me do this.

Edited by guygizmo
  • Like 1

The only way I know of right now is to edit the game and change it's emulator.

I would suggest a wireless keyboard + touchpad combo like the Logitech K400 and keep it somewhat handy for when you need it for something. Even though it's a "couch gaming pc" it still is a PC and every now and again you will need a keyboard and mouse for something.

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Keyboard-Multi-Touch-Touchpad/dp/B005DKZTMG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1504242808&sr=8-4&keywords=logitech+k400

The K400 is nice and small with only a single USB port being used for both functions.

8 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

I would suggest a wireless keyboard + touchpad combo like the Logitech K400 and keep it somewhat handy for when you need it for something. Even though it's a "couch gaming pc" it still is a PC and every now and again you will need a keyboard and mouse for something.

Actually I do have a wireless keyboard and mouse, but everyone hates it when I have to bust it out (including me) because it's inconvenient and I have to go out of my way to exit out of the hodge podge of 10-foot interfaces I've set up, make the change, and then go back again. Hence me making this request.

The LaunchBox dev seems like a busy guy, so I'll see if I can make a plug-in for this in the not too distant future.

Well another option is the software "Controller Companion" which is only like 3$ on Steam and basically lets you have a virtual keyboard with your controller. I know it's not exactly what you want but it is another option.

If you can come up with a plugin for it though I am sure that would be awesome and yeah @Jason Carr is pretty busy lately, he's got a lot of things that a lot of different people want implemented. The poor guy has a list more than a mile long of things people want lol.

• 8 months later...

Hey guys, I would like to support this request. I understand that you can have a bluetooth keyboard, but the thing about this request is to make it much more practical. Just as an  example, on Dreamcast is a nightmare... Some games run great on Demul and others on Reicast (and I also have a duplicated Demul with different settings). Obviously we just find out about it in-game.

Now that we can try different emulators directly on BigBox, have an option to "make this emulator default for this game" would be amazing and makes life easier when the plataform doesn't have a stable and unique emulator. I hope more people support this idea!.

Thanks you all! 

• 1 month later...

I want to up this request, it would be wonderful!

It could be something simple like this; In the "Open With" selection, I could either Launch with selected emulator by pressing the X button or Change selected emulator to the default by using the Square-button.
(Think of the Playstation controller)

EDIT:

Also, I made Issue on bitbucket, check it out; https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox/issues/4349/change-default-emulator-for-game-in-big

Edited by grayfish
added link to bitbucket