LaunchBox Community Forums

List of Command Line Parameters?

Beatlemaniac19

I'm looking to auto-load a save state from RetroArch when I launch a game from LaunchBox. Before anyone asks, I understand that you can set a config file to auto load save states from RetroArch. What I'm trying to do is auto load a save state through the command line parameters field in the edit game window.

Just for your curiosity, I created a Game & Watch platform and I prefer to use the Game & Watch gallery games as opposed to the standalone public domain Game & Watch games, due to them having modern versions of the game on the same cartridge. I've created save states for each game instruction screen so that when I load the state, all I have to do is select the game difficulty and play.

However, as mentioned before, I want to give RetroArch a command to load the game. Does anyone know the command line parameter to do this? Furthermore, is there a reference someone can point me to that gives all of the available commands you can give LaunchBox? That would be great!

I've tried something along the lines of this: -L "states/mGBA/Game & Watch Gallery (U) (V1.0) .state"

Lol @neil9000 it's fine. The issue is that the Game Boy gallery games have 10-20 games per cartridge so if you just auto load a save state, then you can only load one state per rom as opposed to multiple states on different LaunchBox titles with the same root rom if you catch my drift.

There's another possibility however. I could just copy each game multiple times and load each state from its own individual rom and then create a RetroArch config file that auto loads each save state that I've set up. I'll try that honestly. Sorry if it sounds complex haha.

However, does anyone else out there know any other command line parameters for future reference? I just want to know them so I can leverage them if I run into a snag later down the road.

10 minutes ago, Beatlemaniac19 said:

There's another possibility however. I could just copy each game multiple times and load each state from its own individual rom and then create a RetroArch config file that auto loads each save state that I've set up. I'll try that honestly. Sorry if it sounds complex haha.

That's probably how i would do it, you could just rename each copy to the name of the actual g&w game that copy will launch to. You would have to rename the images to match in that case though. Sorry i can't help you with the command lines i know nothing about them, but hopefully someone else will see this thread and chime in with some advice.

@damageinc86 I've considered taking the dive into RocketLauncher. Not gonna lie, I'm a little intimidated. I know that there's a universal pause button, native PDF viewer and really good save state support.

I'm not the most technically savvy and I need to upgrade my PC. It's a crappy 32-bit Windows 7. Do you need a high-end PC, and would you suggest using RocketLauncher in my case? If so, is there a tutorial series that you recommend? It'd be a fun weekend project.

3 minutes ago, Beatlemaniac19 said:

@damageinc86 I've considered taking the dive into RocketLauncher. Not gonna lie, I'm a little intimidated. I know that there's a universal pause button, native PDF viewer and really good save state support.

I'm not the most technically savvy and I need to upgrade my PC. It's a crappy 32-bit Windows 7. Do you need a high-end PC, and would you suggest using RocketLauncher in my case? If so, is there a tutorial series that you recommend? It'd be a fun weekend project.

Check out @pipes78 youtube channel,

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX0rCEx0wj9Nxzg4SXasbQA

I suggest rocketlauncher, but only because I myself am used to it(since hyperspin days) and enjoy some don the key features.  It's great once you get into it, especially for keymapping specific games with joy2key.  But I'm not sure it would help with you wanting to auto launch a save state with retro arch.