LaunchBox Community Forums

Changing controls in Retroarch for Atari

KevinP

1 minute ago, Retro808 said:

I can recreate the issue also with my Xarcade Tankstick. Retroarch does not like to let you do core overrides in the quick menu for keyboards keys mapped to a control. So I any cores I need specific button mappings I just save a separate config file for the core and have Launchbox load that in the default command line. You 

I'm gonna assume that is correct info!! :) 

Cheer's fella, appreciated.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

I can recreate the issue also with my Xarcade Tankstick. Retroarch does not like to let you do core overrides in the quick menu for keyboards keys mapped to a control. So any cores I need specific button mappings I have to save a separate config file for the core and have Launchbox load that in the default command line. 

I may try that once I get a bit more familiar with Retroarch, thanks!

Thanks @neil9000 Not sure if it is the most efficient way to do it, but it has worked for me on the couples cores I needed. Odd that you can set both key and controller buttons for mappings in the general settings, but the core overrides will only let you choose controller buttons. I do use a controller for console cores, but for CPS arcade I use the Tankstick which those buttons are only mapped to keyboard keys. So had to use custom configs and it works. 

@KevinP Doing a custom config is a pretty easy process. I learned from the mods here. So when you are ready to tackle it just let us know and I know this forum with its great mods and members, plus myself would be happy to let you know what to do. 

Edited by Retro808

1 minute ago, Retro808 said:

Thanks @neil9000 Not sure if it is the most efficient way to do it, but it has worked for me on the couples cores I needed. Odd that you can set both key and controller buttons for mappings in the general settings, but the core overrides will only let you choose controller buttons. I do use a controller for console cores, but for CPS arcade I use the Tankstick which those buttons are only mapped to keyboard keys. So had to use custom configs and it works. 

@KevinP Doing a custom config is a pretty easy process. I learned from the mods here. So when you are ready to tackle it just let us know and I know this forum with its great mods and members, plus myself would be happy to let you know what to do. 

I appreciate the offer and the help. I have to say that this is easily the best forum I've ever been a part of. Very helpful and friendly. Nothing like the Hyperspin forums...ugh!

Just now, Retro808 said:

@KevinP Doing a custom config is a pretty easy process. I learned from the mods here. So when you are ready to tackle it just let us know and I know this forum plus myself would be happy to let you know what to do. 

It's much appreciated input fella, so thanks. :) 

Have you ever used any of the controller/keyboard programs, like controller companion etc?

2 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

It's much appreciated input fella, so thanks. :) 

Have you ever used any of the controller/keyboard programs, like controller companion etc?

I have controller companion and x-input downloaded. I just started messing with them a couple weeks ago as I am working on installing some steam games and a few of the fighters I want to use my Tankstick so I am going to need to figure out how to set up the software to convert my keys to joystick commands. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 years later...

Sorry to wake an old thread, but just making the switch to LB from Hyperspin & having one hell of difficulty trying to get Atari 2600, 5200, 7800 controlled by my keyboard input through Retroarch.  Games launch fine but I can't play them.  I happen to have an MS Sidewinder joystick installed because it's how my driving foot-pedal is integrated, but no matter how I modify Port 1 Controls, keys do nothing.

EDIT: Also tried toggling Game Focus Mode (scroll lock).

Edited by curtis-r