LaunchBox Community Forums

PS4/DS4 Controller Problems in Launch Box/ Big Box

LaunchBox Rookie

Hello everyone, 1st post here, I am having two issues w/ LaunchBox/Big Box.

1) I have PS4/DS4 controllers I just bought and I cannot get BOTH working at the same time. I have tried inputmapper as well as DS4windows. I mapped them out with inputmapper first and it was a fail. Both appeared to map OK in inputmapper, but despite my best efforts, I could only get one to work in Launch box. I then moved on to DS4Windows, same result!

Here is where I stand. I plug in both controllers into USB2.0 inputs and the controllers map out OK in both inputmapper & DS4Windows, one lights up red, the other blue. When I use the troubleshooter in DS4Windows, all the buttons & joysticks work on both controllers & they are mapped correctly & both operational in DS4Windows configuration. However, again when I launh a game w/ 2 players, the first player controller works fine, but the 2nd player controller never works (both light up, again one turns red, the other blue). I have scoured YouTube and well as read a bunch or articles and I am still dead in the water. Any ideas???

2) All my systems are working in Launch box (Capcom, Nintendo DS, Atari, Sega Saturn, Neo Geo, etc.) EXCEPT NES, SNES, & Panasonic 3DO. in NES/SNES If I double click on any game from either of those systems, the game initiates, but the PS4 controller is dead. I cannot select anything, start a game, etc. at all. The game just runs in demo mode. As for 3DO, the games and artwork is present, but none of the games will even initiate.

Just a note, I set up everything to the letter via videos from Brad & ETA Prime.

Thank you all in advance for trying to help get me sorted out.

Hi and welcome to the community. :) 

This actually sounds more like a emulator issue rather than a Launchbox one. You say your controllers are setup and detected, and even have different colours denoting that they are detected as two different controllers, but that player two does not work once in a game. This is a emulator issue as Launchbox has no effect on controllers once a emulator loads, it's only used for the Launchbox/Bigbox ui which the loads the emulator which takes over the controllers at that point. So i would suggest loading your emulator by itself and checking the input section, it may only have a player 1 controls set at the moment and will need player 2 controls set as well.

As for your nes/snes games not working also with your controller, again that sounds like a emulator problem, have you opened the emulator by itself and set the controls before you tried to launch through Launchbox/Bigbox?

And finally for 3DO, i have never personally emulated that so can be of little help there, but if it is simply not loading anything at all then i would check that the games load OK through just the emulator first, if they do then you must have a Launchbox configuration issue which we will need to troubleshoot. If they don't load through just the emulator itself either then you have a bigger problem. like incorrect bios, bad rips, wrong format rips ect.

Hope that helps you in some way. :) 

I have seen a few posts in the past with people having issues with multiple PS4 controllers. The issue seemed to be how Windows randomly sets internal IDs for the controllers and that causing bindings to get mixed up. In those posts solutions were not given so I know it is not  much. Just wanted to share I remember seeing others have a similar issue. I can not find the post (it was from another forum I think), but someone had mentioned when opening and closing an emulator is when the ID would change, so one time something like Retroarch would see a controller as Joy 1 then when closed and opened again it would be Joy 2. 

Similar Issue here and here