LaunchBox Community Forums

Compress your video's for free

GunerX

Just now, fromlostdays said:

They are still playable in vlc etc. in compressed state?

i am having no issues playiing them in either Launchbox or BigBox.

i even tried compressing a video, then compressing the compressed video, just to see what would happen. it compressed it a tiny bit more, but there was still no loss of quality.

HOWEVER, the compression only works for "most" videos. some of the vids i have were already very small to start with (like 5 MB) and when attempting to compress them (it makes a new copy so your original is safe) it actually output a larger file (around 9 MB). Im not sure why this is, but w/e. It works really well for larger file sizes. Most of my vids are 50 MB or higher, and they compress down to around 15 MB or so every time.

• Like 1

Thats awesome! I have launchbox on a SSD so this could save me a ton of space. Do you think the compressed videos would work in plex? I'm thinking of 50 gig animes I have. 

no idea.

also, here is an example of my typical compressions. The MP4 is the original, the M4V (still an MP4 format) is the compressed one.

3Vm0Cig.jpg

MYnjGqa.jpg

5 minutes ago, fromlostdays said:

Thats awesome! I have launchbox on a SSD so this could save me a ton of space. Do you think the compressed videos would work in plex? I'm thinking of 50 gig animes I have. 

Yeah they will work fine, as long as you are compressing to a usual format like mp4 or mkv, Handbrake will even convert to hevc if your pc can play those files, and they are even smaller files with no loss of quality.

• Like 1

You're doing them one at a time?

theres supposed to be a way to do a large amount of vids at the same time, but i havnt figured out how to get it to do it (it has something to do with the QUEUE and setting up prefrences and such)

1 minute ago, GunerX said:

theres supposed to be a way to do a large amount of vids at the same time, but i havnt figured out how to get it to do it (it has something to do with the QUEUE and setting up prefrences and such)

You can set all your settings then save it as a preset that auto loads when you open the program, then you browse to a file add to queue, browse to the next file add to queue etc. 

>:( I didn't try it as I'm wanting to test with a few individual files first. Seems like that would have been it. Sorry for blowing up this thread like this, but I'm not seeing hevc as an option. Only mp4 and mkv... testing this on an mkv file. Does the original filetype matter Neil? 

JjXMCOk.jpg

these are the options that I have. so i dont have hevc either