LaunchBox Community Forums

Some ideas to improve the UI and usability of Big Box

Bri Bri

After having used Big Box for a while, I've found a couple of ways in which the UI is a little unclear and communicates confusing things to the user that I think could be fairly easy to fix. (Of course I'm not the developer so that's just a guess!) Note that I'm currently using the default theme, and while these issues may not apply equally to all themes, I have observed them in more than one.

1. When selecting a platform category or a platform, moving the selection to a recent game (or another item separate from the platform or platform category) causes it to be highlighted with the selection color at the same time that the platform or platform category is also highlighted with the selection color. The issue here is that it looks like two things are selected at the same time. 10 foot interfaces like this are best when with a quick glance the user can tell exactly which item is selected, but in this case you have to stop and think about what effect your next action will have. (i.e. Am I selecting a game or a platform?) A better approach would be to keep the platform or platform category highlighted using a different color (grey is a typical choice) so that it's clear the user is browsing a submenu that branches off from the platform or platform category, but something else is currently selected.

2. Again when selecting a platform category or a platform, it's possible to switch to a different platform and then select one of the recent or favorited games from the previous platform before their transition begins and they're removed from the screen. The result is that the current selection changes without the user having done anything additionally: the selection changes back to the platform. Due to issue #1, it's not immediately clear that the user has switched contexts. Again, 10 foot interfaces work best when it's always clear what the user has selected, and that the selection doesn't change without them having taking some action. I'd recommend making it so that as soon as a transition begins that will cause current menu items to leave the screen, they should no longer be selectable.

I hope this suggestions are helpful! Big Box is so far a great front end for my gaming PC, and I'm hoping it'll get even better in the future.

I thought about submitting this using the feature request system, but I figured this isn't really requesting a new feature so much as suggesting an improvement over how an existing and basic feature already works. But if you think I should submit it there, I'll do so.

26 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

The BitBucket has options for feature request, bug fixes and improvements.

Ah, good point. Will go with that.

edit: mods, please close or delete this thread as you feel is appropriate

Edited by guygizmo