LaunchBox Community Forums

Vectrex Launchbox setup

paulwillingham

Hello there i'm trying to setup Vectrex on launchbox, i have all the games running using the ParaJVE emulator my problem is when i launch a game there is no overlay shown just the screen bezel but i want it to show the background art. have been trying all sorts of thing to get i t to work any help wound be greatly appreciated.

If you used -game= as a default command line parameter in the emulator entry in LB, and checked the box for "use filename only without extension or folder path" (and probably the "no spaces before ROM" box too) you wouldn't need to do that so long as the rom is named appropriately - Bedlam.zip or whatever.

6 minutes ago, mothergoose729 said:

Just FYI, retroarch has a vectrex emulator that works great. Overlays and shaders are something RA is really good at. 

It does but you can't quite do the same thing with it as what ParaJVE, which does both overlays (bezels) and background art behind the game. You can kindof fake it by adding the background to the overlay image itself with a reduced opacity (something like 40%) but again it's kindof faking it (see this an example). You'd also have to make them (and specify them) for each game one at a time. ParaJVE does all of this automatically.

Has anyone been able to get this emulator to boot with the background art as I seem to be getting the same issue as the 1st post, I've used the above suggestions but get the same results...when you set up as an emulator what do you put in the rom file in the launcher.

Edited by BlueArrowUK

37 minutes ago, BlueArrowUK said:

Has anyone been able to get this emulator to boot with the background art as I seem to be getting the same issue as the 1st post, I've used the above suggestions but get the same results...when you set up as an emulator what do you put in the rom file in the launcher.

Yes. What I suggested works. I just tested it out.

59e53ea2d3dc5_ParaJVE1.thumb.png.7a2a8e37a73b452db9b2b1c70275c6ba.png59e53ea626de6_ParaJVE2.thumb.png.eddb24449be6fc3933e3042dae263eb7.png59e53eab0b7f8_ParaJVE3.thumb.png.82f1dece9a9af819552629c11c8d4248.png59e53eb064b66_ParaJVE4.thumb.png.4dd85b4dfa5862f727c1b2b8641ae97c.pngThe file has to be named correctly (and it's case-specific).

I extracted the names for the games from the xml (attached below), so now I just need to make some files to match. All it's doing is indicating to the emulator which game to start, they're not actually roms at all. The way to make this easiest for importing will be to use folders with each game title, and placing the "rom" (just a blank file) with the appropriate game-id name, and indicating to "use folder names" on import.

Game Names.txt

• Thanks 1

Okay, so here they are (attached below). These can be imported like normal roms, just be sure to check the "Use folder names instead of ROM file names for game titles" on this screen of the importer to ensure that it uses the correct title. I split them up into categories like they're listed in the drop-down list in ParaJVE (I put "Test Cartridge" in an additional folder named "Other") since I'm sure most people won't want everything here like the tech demos.

59e5661e256bf_ParaJVE5.thumb.png.ae6b3c9ccd50809b8a561dbcbccf9dd3.pngMake sure your emulator entry for ParaJVE looks like this and you'll be good to go:

59e56657a16b2_ParaJVE1.thumb.png.c64a874eb266159969ec49ec222231a4.pngGame IDs.zip

• Thanks 2