LaunchBox Community Forums

BigBox really slow

Rinzler

I have a question regarding Bigbox and performance. My system (see below) should be more than powerful enough to handle Bigbox but yet it will drop down into the teens FPS wise when sitting at console selection or game selection. My question being is, does BigBox make use of GPU or is strictly CPU bound? I feel my system should be more than capable of running this with no issues. If GPU can be leveraged, AMD or Nvidia?

System

i5-2500k

8 GB DDR3 2133

4 TB 7200 RPM stripped

1080p output

BigBox does make use of a GPU.

You can get some tips of boosting the performance if you check this thread here.

Since that thread was started @Jason Carr has done a lot to improve the performance of BigBox on lower end hardware but much of the same advice in that thread still holds true. Set your image quality it medium, turn off transition effects, make sure your drivers are up to date and your system is running lean.

2 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

BigBox does make use of a GPU.

You can get some tips of boosting the performance if you check this thread here.

Since that thread was started @Jason Carr has done a lot to improve the performance of BigBox on lower end hardware but much of the same advice in that thread still holds true. Set your image quality it medium, turn off transition effects, make sure your drivers are up to date and your system is running lean.

I will give that glance over to see if it has some suggestions for me. I have it pretty cut down already with a forced kill on all services not needed including explorer.exe and bunch of others. Do you know if it will favor Nvidia over AMD? Before I run out and grab on I just wanna make sure I am picking up the favored device. Thanks again!

2 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

I don't think it matters the GPU type. You will see over in that thread I run 2 systems with BigBox, one fairly high end gaming PC and another slower, older PC used as an HTPC with an older Radeon 7800 series graphics card but BigBox tweaked and it runs perfectly fine.

Awesome. Thanks I will give it a glance over and I am gonna grab a 1050 Ti.

Another thing that can impact performance is the theme and view being used, the default theme is obviously the baseline but the theme "Fundamental" is also very light. The "coverflow" view will impact performance when you have all the different box arts being shown, that view is very slow on my old HTPC so that's something to keep in mind.

Just now, Lordmonkus said:

Another thing that can impact performance is the theme and view being used, the default theme is obviously the baseline but the theme "Fundamental" is also very light. The "coverflow" view will impact performance when you have all the different box arts being shown, that view is very slow on my old HTPC so that's something to keep in mind.

I suspect it is the current theme. I do have it set to cache up to 4 GB's worth images into ram while running. I am using Cityhunter 2 thou. 

Just now, Lordmonkus said:

Try switching to the default theme, the i5 2500k is an older CPU (so is the one in my HTPC) and you didn't say what sort of GPU you currently have in your system.

i5 2500k at 4.5 can pew pew with the best of them lol. I am still on the iGPU due to not being sure on GPU at time of cabinet build. Coming from Hyperspin the GPU did not matter so never gave much thought about it. That will change tonight thou when I try out the 1050 TI

7 hours ago, Rinzler said:

i5-2500k

8 GB DDR3 2133

1080p output

I have this in my HTPC (secondary LB setup). It has a nvidia 1050ti (but used to have an old nvidia 560). 

I run BB totally fine with this hardware (even when i had my very old nvidia 560).

One thing that can really help in BB is to go into options in the image cache section and choose to force cache all game images. Wait for it to totally finish before using BB. You can monitor Launchbox\Images\Cache number of files. When the number of files stops growing in that folder, it's done caching and should run nice.

Also, the ram cache memory setting in LB options does not affect BB at all. That setting is only for LB.