LaunchBox Community Forums

Possible to force Japanese cover art?

bak88kab

17 hours ago, bak88kab said:

When Launchbox downloads cover art it always shows the American or European art, even if the game itself is the Japanese version. This is especially annoying if you have multiple versions of a game, all using the same cover.

You can go to tools/options/region priorities and check the box for Japan then move it to the top of the list, that way if a game has a Japanese box it will display that as priority, if there is no Japanese box in your images it will move to the next region in your list, and so on and so on.

Screenshot (1).png

• 1 year later...

On 11/12/2017 at 11:50 AM, neil9000 said:

You can go to tools/options/region priorities and check the box for Japan then move it to the top of the list, that way if a game has a Japanese box it will display that as priority, if there is no Japanese box in your images it will move to the next region in your list, and so on and so on.

Screenshot (1).png

After you do this should it automatically swap the American image for the Japanese image, or do you have to change it yourself?.

I myself would prefer all PAL box art for say Megadrive games but there doesnt appear to be a full PAL megadrive box set on Launchboxs servers?.

I do actually have a full (if not almost full) PAL megadrive box artwork pack and would be happy to donate it to Launchboxs servers !?

Just now, BlockABoots said:

After you do this should it automatically swap the American image for the Japanese image, or do you have to change it yourself?.

I myself would prefer all PAL box art for say Megadrive games but there doesnt appear to be a full PAL megadrive box set on Launchboxs servers?.

I do actually have a full (if not almost full) PAL megadrive box artwork pack and would be happy to donate it to Launchboxs servers !?

The Launchbox Database uses the USA region as the default for game names, metadata and images, other regions can be added but they need to be specifically marked as a different region in the database when you add them otherwise they will be rejected as the wrong image for the region.

As for it still showing the wrong region image in Launchbox, yes you will need to refresh the image cache first, all images get cached to a cache folder for quicker retrieval so that needs to be cleared of the other images first.

5 hours ago, neil9000 said:

The Launchbox Database uses the USA region as the default for game names, metadata and images, other regions can be added but they need to be specifically marked as a different region in the database when you add them otherwise they will be rejected as the wrong image for the region.

As for it still showing the wrong region image in Launchbox, yes you will need to refresh the image cache first, all images get cached to a cache folder for quicker retrieval so that needs to be cleared of the other images first.

Thanks for the reply but it still doesn't appear to be working correctly.

For a test i completely removed 'United States' and 'North America' form the region priority list and just added United Kingdom and Japan, then re-downloaded the media and meta telling it to overwrite all existing files. After the process had completed i then selected 'Refresh All Media' from the 'Tools' drop down box but its still showing a lot of Genesis box art!. 

Any ideas?

5 minutes ago, BlockABoots said:

Thanks for the reply but it still doesn't appear to be working correctly.

For a test i completely removed 'United States' and 'North America' form the region priority list and just added United Kingdom and Japan, then re-downloaded the media and meta telling it to overwrite all existing files. After the process had completed i then selected 'Refresh All Media' from the 'Tools' drop down box but its still showing a lot of Genesis box art!. 

Any ideas?

Then there likely isnt PAL/Japan artwork for those games on our or emumovies databases. I have a lot of Genesis in my covers even though i named the platform Sega Mega Drive and have Europe as my preference in the priorities.

1894214226_Screenshot(223).thumb.png.c204b2ca1831a9bbb19e64fce25987cd.png

Hmm, yeah even though im telling it not to download any media for USA and just UK and Japan, it still appears to and media from other countries too. Have uploaded this video of the process.......

as you can see it still downloading media from other regions even though its been instructed not to, and for some reason it didnt download artwork for Bare Knuckle 1 & 2 even though i had Japan set as the secondary region to scrape media from.

I find it odd that after all this time Launchbox wouldn't have an almost full collection of PAL front box art!??. As i said i have a complete set here for PAL Megadrive box art, i would be happy to share it with Launchbox so they can have a complete set on their servers!?

Edited by BlockABoots