LaunchBox Community Forums

Not working shortly after update

stevaside

"It appears that your LaunchBox\Data\Settings.xml file is corrupt; Launchbox can not continue.  Please try removing a backup of the file from the Backups folder inside of your Launchbox root folder

Root element is missing"

So I tried replacing the settings.xml file with the one in the backups & nothing...LB is completely unusable now

Just now, stevaside said:

Yes, I renamed it exactly what it was originally called, settings.xml I believe

the only other thing I can suggest then is just to delete it from the data folder, and a new one should be created when you start Launchbox, you will however obviously have to then change back any settings you altered from the default. 

4 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

the only other thing I can suggest then is just to delete it from the data folder, and a new one should be created when you start Launchbox, you will however obviously have to then change back any settings you altered from the default. 

Nope, I get the same message & went back to the data folder & there's no new settings.xml file created

17 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Sounds like this might be a file permissions issue or something like that, especially if the Settings.xml file is never created. There's something strange going on there for sure. What directory do you have LaunchBox installed to?

C:\Launchbox

Same location I've always had it, never any problems until this new update

On 11/21/2017 at 4:27 PM, Jason Carr said:

What happens if you install LaunchBox to a new/different folder? Do you get the same issues?

I clicked on the update exe, reinstalled to new folder & it opened..then I copied all my old folders over from old directory into new Launchbox folder & now getting same message, won't open at all

@stevaside Sorry for the delay here; just pulled up your data. Unfortunately it looks like you have several completely corrupted data files. Settings.xml, BigBoxSettings.xml, and Platforms.xml are all corrupted, as well as Arcade.xml from the Data\Platforms folder. I don't know how this could have happened outside of a file system or hard drive issue. You *might* be able to use files from your LaunchBox\Backups folder to replace these files to get back up and running, though. I would make sure to run chkdsk and such to see if you have any further issues with the drive first.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/1/2017 at 2:55 PM, Jason Carr said:

@stevaside Sorry for the delay here; just pulled up your data. Unfortunately it looks like you have several completely corrupted data files. Settings.xml, BigBoxSettings.xml, and Platforms.xml are all corrupted, as well as Arcade.xml from the Data\Platforms folder. I don't know how this could have happened outside of a file system or hard drive issue. You *might* be able to use files from your LaunchBox\Backups folder to replace these files to get back up and running, though. I would make sure to run chkdsk and such to see if you have any further issues with the drive first.

Well I copied all those over from the backup folder & still couldn't get LB to open at all, kept getting the corrupted file message....so...I just copied over those same files u mentioned from a backup I made of all my LB folders & files a couple months back on another hard drive..and I finally got it to open up again..Big Box seemed to work, there were all my games again to select...but I knew with my luck it wouldn't be that easy...and sure enough, NONE of the games will run. Each one I click on within the wheel, freezes for a second or 2 & then goes right back to the menu.  Nothing happens

46 minutes ago, stevaside said:

Well I copied all those over from the backup folder & still couldn't get LB to open at all, kept getting the corrupted file message....so...I just copied over those same files u mentioned from a backup I made of all my LB folders & files a couple months back on another hard drive..and I finally got it to open up again..Big Box seemed to work, there were all my games again to select...but I knew with my luck it wouldn't be that easy...and sure enough, NONE of the games will run. Each one I click on within the wheel, freezes for a second or 2 & then goes right back to the menu.  Nothing happens

I'm guessing something else is wrong with the files on your disk (ROMs/emulators). It's impossible for me to be able to troubleshoot it from here, but that would be my first guess. I would be careful about continuing to use that hard drive as it's possibly dying. I would first run a chkdsk on the drive to see what's going on.

40 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

I'm guessing something else is wrong with the files on your disk (ROMs/emulators). It's impossible for me to be able to troubleshoot it from here, but that would be my first guess. I would be careful about continuing to use that hard drive as it's possibly dying. I would first run a chkdsk on the drive to see what's going on.

They have all worked fine in MAME though since I started having problems with LB

17 hours ago, stevaside said:

They have all worked fine in MAME though since I started having problems with LB

Okay, then it's probably an issue with the emulator configuration or ROM files. Check to make sure the ROM files exist in the right spot and that MAME is configured properly in LaunchBox. It's difficult for me to troubleshoot the issue from here, unfortunately.

On 12/24/2017 at 3:21 PM, Jason Carr said:

Okay, then it's probably an issue with the emulator configuration or ROM files. Check to make sure the ROM files exist in the right spot and that MAME is configured properly in LaunchBox. It's difficult for me to troubleshoot the issue from here, unfortunately.

I went & checked the settings & everything looked right...I didn't change anything, but all of a sudden now the games appear to open..Weird...as long as it stays that way I'll be good I guess