LaunchBox Community Forums

Dreamcast and Demul

mylkman

I was unsuccessful with retroarch but found Demul to load and play games well.  I started plaing games but noticed that they were all telling me I don't have enough blocks for saves.  How do I set up save space or blocks as they call it.  I couldn't find it in demul's options so I guess it may need an addon or something.  Any help is greatly appreciated Thx

Have you Played Shenmue ?  If so, that is where I encountered the error.   i can play the game so I guess technically it is not an error.  I see in the Maple device manager that these can be made.  However I keep getting the same instructions of not enough memory blocks

I know it's fully playable and saves work for it though, that's why I say to look into creating a VMU save file for it.

Dreamcast emulation is just something that doesn't really interest me so much lately. I'm more into the 16 bit and arcade side of things myself, along with a side helping of 32 bit.

3 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

How far into the game does it tell you there's not enough blocks ?

I'll see what happens when I load it up but if I gotta play the game for more than a half hour or so that's just too much, not much of a fan of the game personally.

Right in the beginning when you are loading the game.

Also I'm having the issue when I try to change settings the screen goes small and I cant get it back to large screen/

OK so I figured it out. Go into maple device settings and place the vmu in one of the slots.  Probably need more than one for Shenmue.  I think each VMU is only 16 blocks but I could be wrong.  I selected create a file.  It created a new one for me.  Then when I start the game it will ask where to save the file.  In playing around with this, I have deleted all my save files from other games like Spider-Man, etc.  Lucky I just basically started using this emulation or I would have been really frustrated.  You know   Couch potato rage! LOL

Now if I can figure out why the screen goes small when I try to configure the settings and I cannot get it back to fullscreeen, I will be happier.

Other emulators create a separate virtual memory card for each game, but not demul. You can create another memory unit in the UI of the emulator and load that instead. There isn't a way to automate it through the command line. The best solution I have found is to have separate instances of demul for every five or so games. Not exactly elegant, but demul is the best dreamcast emulator by far so I put up with it. 

11 hours ago, mothergoose729 said:

Other emulators create a separate virtual memory card for each game, but not demul. You can create another memory unit in the UI of the emulator and load that instead. There isn't a way to automate it through the command line. The best solution I have found is to have separate instances of demul for every five or so games. Not exactly elegant, but demul is the best dreamcast emulator by far so I put up with it. 

Thank you for your input.  It cleared up some things that even the people at Demul wouldn't or couldn' answer. Thx