LaunchBox Community Forums

Creating a Playlist from a folder/Default emulator help

HellfireEternal

So I had an issue with Retroarch and re-installed it to a different location. Originally it worked fine click on a game and Retroarch loaded up. Now it says the emulator that game is using no longer exists, however I have re-installed it AND changed the path under manage emulators as well as made sure default emulator was checked. How do I reset an entire system's default emulator without going through each game and clicking edit then going to the emulation tab and changing the emulator. It works if I right click it and choose Retroarch but i would like it to work by simply double clicking it. 

Also I would like to put Japanese and PAL games in a separate playlist. If I choose import it will just add them to the all games system playlist I have already created. I have them separated into different folders so If I can create a playlist from a folder I should be able to do this easily... is that an option? I see that I can arrange by region but most of the games are incorrectly labeled (There is US, USA and NTSC all for english games alone). What is the easiest way to do this?

And one last simple question... What is the command line parameter for Beetle HW? Is there a link for all the different core's command line parameters?

Thank you for any help!

18 minutes ago, HellfireEternal said:

How do I reset an entire system's default emulator

Select all the games in the platform using Control + A like in Windows, right click and edit, this will bring up the bulk edit tool, choose the emulator field and then the emulator you want.

20 minutes ago, HellfireEternal said:

Also I would like to put Japanese and PAL games in a separate playlist. If I choose import it will just add them to the all games system playlist I have already created. I have them separated into different folders so If I can create a playlist from a folder I should be able to do this easily... is that an option?

Since you have them separated into their own folders already this is easy, import the games from their regional folders but import them to a new custom platform such as NES - PAL or NES JPN for example but have them scrape as Nintendo Entertainment System so it gets all the metadata and art. Just be sure and add the new custom platform to the Associated Platforms and command line parameters.

23 minutes ago, HellfireEternal said:

And one last simple question... What is the command line parameter for Beetle HW? Is there a link for all the different core's command line parameters?

All the command line parameters are the same except you change out the core name .dll file so for Beetle HW it would be

-L "cores\mednafen_psx_hw_libretro.dll"

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:
11 hours ago, HellfireEternal said:

How do I reset an entire system's default emulator

Select all the games in the platform using Control + A like in Windows, right click and edit, this will bring up the bulk edit tool, choose the emulator field and then the emulator you want.

OK, this did fix some of the problem however, when I right click a game and choose a different "version" it still says the emulator doesn't exist (The problem is the games are in bin/cue and some of the games defaulted to the track 1 bin instead of the cue and I need to right click and select the cue. That is when this error occurs). Any idea why this would happen?

EDIT: So after going through my library a little more, any game that has more than one .bin track won't work when I double click it and if I try to choose the .cue from right clicking it i get the error that the emulator does not exist. If I load up Retroarch and choose the .cue file the game loads so the files are not corrupted (there is nothing wrong with the actual game files or Retroarch so I believe this is a LaunchBox issue). The games that fit the one .bin one .cue format work great, just double click and it begins to load. 

11 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:
11 hours ago, HellfireEternal said:

Also I would like to put Japanese and PAL games in a separate playlist. If I choose import it will just add them to the all games system playlist I have already created. I have them separated into different folders so If I can create a playlist from a folder I should be able to do this easily... is that an option?

Since you have them separated into their own folders already this is easy, import the games from their regional folders but import them to a new custom platform such as NES - PAL or NES JPN for example but have them scrape as Nintendo Entertainment System so it gets all the metadata and art. Just be sure and add the new custom platform to the Associated Platforms and command line parameters.

Strange, when I tried to do this last night the system was not showing up in the list. When I tried it this morning it worked just fine! Thank you for the help, I guess knowing this was the correct method made me a little more persistent and I worked it out.

Edited by HellfireEternal

3 hours ago, HellfireEternal said:

(The problem is the games are in bin/cue and some of the games defaulted to the track 1 bin instead of the cue

I don't know what you imported but you should only import the .cue files and the cue files need to have info for loading all of the .bin files for the game.

Yeah, I figured that would be the best way to do it so I just started over and removed the .bin files from the import wizard. Unfortunately going to the bottom of the .bin files and holding shift+home does not work to select all of the files. I had to hold shift and press page up repeatedly. Then when I tried to remove too many files at once the program stopped responding. I feel like it was deleting them just taking a long time to do so. I ended up ending the process and then restarted just deleting a few page down presses worth at a time. In the future I will try to import smaller amounts of files, it looks like the import wizard has trouble working with large amounts of files.

I was just trying to be lazy and leave the .bin files in there but ultimately it was for the better, my collection looks much better and who knows how many more problems I would have had down the line with so many versions of the same game.

Thank you for all the help! I have read some of your other replies to problems that have helped me out in the past, I appreciate you taking your time to help everyone around here out!

Edited by HellfireEternal

I don't know how you have your CD based games organized but the way I and others do it is to have each game in their own folder and all those folders in a folder named for the platform so for example:

\Roms\Playstation\"name of game"

Then from there using the file manager go to the Playstation folder and using the search function look for 

*.cue

This will show you all the cue files that are contained within the \Playstation folder and all the games folders. Select all those .cue files with Control + A and drag them into Launchbox and this will start the import process.

You can do the same this using the Launchbox importer if you prefer.