LaunchBox Community Forums

SNES games not launching, regardless of emulator

hippoposthumous

Hi there - so I am using retroarch for multiple systems, and everything seems to work fine for NES, Genesis, etc... but when I double-click a SNES game, nothing happens. The background of the app changes (which I think happens whenever I launch a game) but nothing happens. So I downloaded another emulator, installed it, and set it as the default. Still nothing.

The strange thing is if I right-click a game and select "launch with" and then EITHER emulator, it works fine. What would cause my installation to work fine using "launch with" but just clicking launch, or double clicking a game does nothing?

Latest Win 10, latest Launchbox, latest retroarch and snes9x.

I'm just using the default options; I haven't changed anything, which has worked in retroarch for every other platform...

Right now, the associated platform is "Super Nintendo Entertainment System" in Retroarch, and the default command line parameter is "cores\snes9x_next_librero.dll" I have no preference of core, I was just going to use whatever the default is.

If I change the default emulator to snes9x (not using retroarch), the default command-line parameter is blank (which I didn't change because launchbox told me it would populate the most common options for that emulator).

It's just so odd because it works for every other platform, and I haven't made any changes. Do I need to change the default command-line parameter on the retroarch edit screen, or alternatively add a parameter to the snes9x edit screen?

Thanks

So... I'm just getting more and more confused. I decided to just not use retroarch for SNES (and probably at all... when I actually have to use the GUI, it's horrendous on the PC) and just use SNES9X.

Steps I took:

Tools / Manage Emulators / Edit (snes9x) / set it as default for Super Nintendo.
Try launching game... nothing.
Hit "edit" at the bottom of the screen with a game highlighted (Actraiser).
Go to Emulator Tab in the dialogue box... and Retroarch is (still!) set as default!
Change it to SNES9X

IT WORKS.

So I don't actually need any specific command line defaults (for snes9x standalone)
BUT... Launchbox isn't associating games with a different emulator even when I change the default emulator for the platform. It's leaving everything associated with retroarch... Madness.

The default emulator check box in the Associated Platforms window doesn't change anything, that's just for the game import process. To change your emulator for your games you have to edit the game and change the emulator and to do it for all the games in a platform you have to select all the games using Control + A and then right clicking and edit to bring up the bulk edit tool, select emulator and then the emulator you want to change it to.

Here is a quick tutorial video I did a little while ago that shows how to setup Retroarch and the NES core with Launchbox, even though it's for the NES the same rules still apply to any other Retroarch core.

2 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

The default emulator check box in the Associated Platforms window doesn't change anything, that's just for the game import process. To change your emulator for your games you have to edit the game and change the emulator and to do it for all the games in a platform you have to select all the games using Control + A and then right clicking and edit to bring up the bulk edit tool, select emulator and then the emulator you want to change it to.

Here is a quick tutorial video I did a little while ago that shows how to setup Retroarch and the NES core with Launchbox, even though it's for the NES the same rules still apply to any other Retroarch core.

Thanks! That worked.

The default emulator for a platform should be... the default emulator for that platform, not the default emulator for future imports. That's a bug.