LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox/Bigbox Not Loading Achievement Sets

ItchyProphet

Hey there!

When trying to load any game from Launchbox/BigBox using the RA standalone emulators, the achievement sets do not load with the game when the emulator opens. I've got the API key set correctly and tested. Is it only applicable with retroarch as shown with the tutorial video, or do the standalone emulators work? Two other users have run into the same issue, so I'm thinking it's either an option I've missed or the standalone emulators are not supported.

I've tested NES/SNES and GBA. Once the emulator loads, I can load the game manually and the achievements will load.

Thanks for your help,

5 hours ago, neil9000 said:

I am using Retroarch here and it's working just fine for me. What emulator are you using and do you have a link to it, and ill test it on my setup.

http://retroachievements.org/download.php

The NES/SNES ones.

Someone posted on the discord, do the titles of the ROMs have to be cleaned up?

Edited by ItchyProphet

Yeah i am getting the same behaviour here, this shot is the game launched through Launchbox.

5a5e2a67190aa_Screenshot(251).thumb.png.e78a29e79a0ae6b68781ce8fed207339.pngThis shot is the game loaded directly from within the emulator.

5a5e2a700a032_Screenshot(252).thumb.png.f3c745d7dde8094c4281ede6c579c60f.pngIt looks like the emulator needs a Game id as it is in the second shot when loaded from the emulator, but not in the first shot when loaded from Launchbox. I would suggest you post about this in the beta thread here.

Unfortunately I think this is an issue with the standalone emulators themselves, at least that's my guess. @neil9000 What do you mean by needing the game ID as a "second shot"? Is there a different command-line we can use? Unfortunately the only option we would have to fix the issue from within LaunchBox itself would be through command-line parameters. Otherwise, we'll have to report the issue to the retroachievements.org community.

54 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Unfortunately I think this is an issue with the standalone emulators themselves, at least that's my guess. @neil9000 What do you mean by needing the game ID as a "second shot"? Is there a different command-line we can use? Unfortunately the only option we would have to fix the issue from within LaunchBox itself would be through command-line parameters. Otherwise, we'll have to report the issue to the retroachievements.org community.

You mentioned command-line parameters, is that something I can do on my end?

5 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

In the second image i posted of Mario 3 you can see the achievement list opened in the RAnes emulator, it shows all the achievements for the game and whether or not any are unlocked and it has a "Game ID" of 1995, which i'm assuming is supplied to the api in order to identify the loaded game and to parse the achievements for it. However when the same Mario 3 rom is launched from Launchbox using the same emulator the achievement list is not populated at all, (as you can see in my first image above) so it looks like to my non coding brain that when a game is loaded to the emulator through command line rather than opened directly from the emulator that the rom being loaded is not ID'd by the emulator, therefore nothing is passed to the api, therefore you cant view the achievements for games if they are launched from Launchbox, and by extension i'm betting achievements won't unlock period if that list is not populated, essentially rendering using Achievements in the standalone emulators useless when launching them from Launchbox. This all works just fine in Retroarch so i'm guessing they handle it differently there. So it looks to me like you "have" to use Retroarch for the achievements at the moment, as they simply do not populate in the standalone emulators when launched from Launchbox. I honestly do not know if this is a emulator or api issue, that's above my pay grade unfortunately.

10 hours ago, neil9000 said:

In the second image i posted of Mario 3 you can see the achievement list opened in the RAnes emulator, it shows all the achievements for the game and whether or not any are unlocked and it has a "Game ID" of 1995, which i'm assuming is supplied to the api in order to identify the loaded game and to parse the achievements for it. However when the same Mario 3 rom is launched from Launchbox using the same emulator the achievement list is not populated at all, (as you can see in my first image above) so it looks like to my non coding brain that when a game is loaded to the emulator through command line rather than opened directly from the emulator that the rom being loaded is not ID'd by the emulator, therefore nothing is passed to the api, therefore you cant view the achievements for games if they are launched from Launchbox, and by extension i'm betting achievements won't unlock period if that list is not populated, essentially rendering using Achievements in the standalone emulators useless when launching them from Launchbox. This all works just fine in Retroarch so i'm guessing they handle it differently there. So it looks to me like you "have" to use Retroarch for the achievements at the moment, as they simply do not populate in the standalone emulators when launched from Launchbox. I honestly do not know if this is a emulator or api issue, that's above my pay grade unfortunately.

I see. Yeah, as far as I know, there's no way for us to fix this ourselves. It has to do with how the emulator is coded; they apparently never bothered to integrate the retro achievements stuff when loading a ROM via the command line, only via the emulator's interface. So yes, we would have to go back to the retroachievements.org community to get this fixed.

• Like 1