LaunchBox Community Forums

Using a joystick to select roms

Aevans0001

Is there a way to make a joystick select roms similar to how pushing up, down, left, right arrow keys select them?

Currently when I use a joystick a pointer (which is also separate from the mouse pointer) shows up and I have to click on the game to get the info for it. 

If I use the arrow keys, each time I press down it goes to the next game and displays the metadata for that game.

If the answer to my question is no, then I have a problem because I would like my controller button 1 and 2  to be my mouse buttons.  However whenever I use the controller to select a game and hit controller button 1 it clicks on whatever the mouse pointer is on, not the controller pointer.  Is there a way to combine the 2?

I also like to sometimes use my trackball to select games, so hiding the mouse might cause other issues, but I may want to try this for a period of time, so instructions?

Thanks

It is possible. I use my arcade joystick to select roms as well as having a couple game controllers set up to do the same. Unless of course I am misunderstanding what you are asking. 

How is your joystick set up? Does it respond as keyboard keys or as a game controller? 

15 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

It is possible. I use my arcade joystick to select roms as well as having a couple game controllers set up to do the same. Unless of course I am misunderstanding what you are asking. 

How is your joystick set up? Does it respond as keyboard keys or as a game controller? 

It responds as a controller. So when I use the controller I get a new colorful pointerUntitled.png.203e7aaee76f566f984fadcc1f846793.png

So it acts a lot like a mouse. except that my button 1 is a button and a mouse button, so When i click on a game to launch, it launches the games the mouse is pointing at not the one the controller is.

5 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

I think he is referring to Launchbox mode not BigBox and the only way I can think of doing what he is describing is to setup something like Xpadder or similar software to map the controller d-pad and buttons to the keyboard.

Ok so right now im setting up launchbox, havent done the research to see what is so awesome with bigbox yet.  So if this is different in bigbox, is it a setting i need to change in bigbox or out of the box it is like that.  I already have a license. 

So I have researched a little more and in big box, I would still have to disable the mouse in order to provide the functionality I desire, without any new configuration provided by the awesome team building it.

I love this software but do not like how restricted it is (or how restricted it seems to me) so I created a feature request

Feature Request for more configuration options and you can vote for it here PLEASE VOTE.

Thanks for all your help

New features requests are good that way the community base can vote for it. The more votes the more Jason knows we want it. It is an evolution process and it really is one man coding versus a team. So some things will take longer to implement especially if the larger community is not requesting it.