LaunchBox Community Forums

.zip is not supported by FB Alpha

Rawcardo

hello everyone...

my problem is hopefully simple to fix. i just finished setting up FBA in LaunchBox. the games work fine when just using FBA alone but when i try to launch them through LaunhBox i get a "Romname.zip is not supported by FB Alpha"

i just started using LaunchBox a couple days ago. I used this tutorial to help me out

I hope someone has a solution for this problem... thank you...

ya i noticed that. and its a great solution but what i would really like is a rom set with all that crap already filtered out, if thats even possible but beggars cant be choosers.

I came across a certain website that has a bunch of MAME torrents. There is about 2.5Tb associated with MAME 0.193... is there any point in downloading it all?

If you don't have a relatively up to date romset and there are games you want that you don't have already then yeah go for it.

I know this doesn't help you download a filtered out set of roms but it will give you a good solid base of roms picked out of a full set of split roms you have downloaded. It's the No Filler bat file, just put it in your Mame rom folder and run it, it will make a folder and copy out about 640 games to it with all the necessary bios and system files needed and of course you add to it from there.

ok great, so your saying for me to get the best experience from mame with LaunchBox, that i should go ahead and download all those torrents, the full 2.5 TB or whatever it is?

any clue as to what is in that huge 1.8 TB file? what systems need it in order to play?

The large one has the CHD files which are quite large. It's up to you whether or not you want them, some people such as myself don't bother with them but that's just me.

We do however recommend using either the split or non merged sets, the merged sets don't leave much flexibility for picking and choosing specific versions of games you want (example: TMNT or Ganutlet 2 player / 4 player) those are just much easier handled with split and non merged.

will "MAME 0.193 CHDs (merged)" work with the "MAME 0.193 ROMs (non-merged)"?

and i just realized that I'm a dumb ass, but you probably knew that already... LOL, instead of asking you if i should be downloading that huge file, i should have been asking you what "Software List" refers to?  I didn't even take that in...

Edited by Rawcardo

1 minute ago, Rawcardo said:

will "MAME 0.193 CHDs (merged)" work with the "MAME 0.193 ROMs (non-merged)"?

No idea, like I said I don't use CHDs, can't be bothered to download them.

2 minutes ago, Rawcardo said:

what "Software List" refers to?

Software lists are used for non arcade games like consoles and computers. If you use Mame to emulate other systems you will need a rom set that matches up with the ones in those lists.

CHD set only come in merged flavor and yes it will work with any of the rom sets (merged nonmerged or split) Software list are for computers and consoles like monkus said but if you have other roms not in the MAME format for those as long as you aren't trying to load them through the MAME UI then they will work. For some reason using the UI requires the ROMs MAME is looking for but using the command line doesn't.