LaunchBox Community Forums

Important, Do not upload alternative names without specify its corresponding region!!

Drodrick

Hello everyone, I'm very happy with my premium license! and I want to contribute every possible thing in my hands for the community and the app, pdta: sorry if my english is not appropriate, this is the situation:

Have you think: Why something games does not download artwork and why do not merged automatically ? that's the answer:

I've noticed that all the games (generally Japanese versions) in the database with an alternative names but without its corresponding region , have issues with auto download Metadata & Media and especially with the merge function as well.

For example In my Snes roms I've one called "Takahashi Meijin no Daibōken Jima II"  that is the japanese version of "Super Adventure Island 2" but the Japanese version was not auto included/merged into "Super Adventure Island 2" apps, for a simply reason, the alternative name does not have the region, It does not been specified in the database. as in the image:

screen1.thumb.PNG.28397fe76dffa378b7bae6df46ef9509.PNG

It easy to report it, I've reported all the Snes & Nintendo 64 alternative names without region, I like to help improving the games database, for this reason, for a better database please do not upload alternative names without his region, If you are a moderator of the database please take in to account that the alternatives names with his region helps to improve the merging in and download Artwork for the collections.

If you see an alternative name without region please change it!! is simple, you must delete the previous alternative name by pressing backspace, and create a new entry with the alternative name and his corresponding region, like in the images:

screen2.thumb.PNG.f4715e297064a2a53bf1acba16cc9cf5.PNGscreen3.thumb.PNG.bfcee75f037cf8bbf85796ac24b38f33.PNGscreen4.thumb.PNG.a16dfe5d98932f7d4909079e27ab2633.PNG

That's all!! 

This must seem very exaggerated hehe, but can you imagine the lot of games without his media & not merged/linked in his parent game, it's like a game without his parents and his home heheh, just for this simply reason, It must be mandatory add the region in every alternative name, this will improve the database and our collections a lot!!

Thanks for reading!! have a nice game!

Screen1.PNG

screen2.PNG

screen3.PNG

screen4.PNG

Edited by Drodrick
edit
  • Like 2

@Jason Carr this is exactly what I'm talking about. Me not entering regions for poorly named Retro Achievements games is already causing confusion in the community, and people are already trying to 'fix it.'

@Drodrick, I personally added many of those games. They are 'Retro Achievements' games, and the intention of the alternate names is so that Achievements will show up for games on the Retro Achievements website that were named badly.

The reason regions were not added is because in most cases, the naming scheme was not ideal - they used a hyphen instead of a colon, 'and' instead of '&', a typo/mistake, or otherwise poorly named games.

In order for the Achievements to work, the names have to be typed EXACTLY the way they appear on the Retro Achievements website. So, you encouraging people to delete regionless alternate games will cause problems for me, if they do not re-enter the data exactly the same way as it was before.

I did NOT want to attach an official region to poorly named games.

But this is clearly a problem, that needs addressed.

Edited by Typhon

@Drodrick you don't have to actually delete entries without a region, if you put your mouse over the section indicated in this picture, you can then edit the field, or add a region. It would be preferable to not delete existing alternate names, since many Retro Achievements games depend on the names being very specific. If you disagree with the existing alternate name, it would be better to submit a new one than to delete the old.

5a7eec58736bd_2018-02-10(1).thumb.png.ce86a4d803f6cd9eff7a167b7b53eb0c.png

Edited by Typhon