LaunchBox Community Forums

Upgrade GPU card - Worth it?

Wayne100

HI all, I have been slowly building up my system, and am now starting to set up the likes of PS1, PS2, Gamecube, Dreamcast and Wii etc, but I am finding that my computer seems to struggle with these. I have tried various cores and settings etc, but never seem to be able to improve the 'quality' of the games (ie running Beetle PSX HW - changing resolution etc crashes Retroarch and so on).

Not sure if it my GPU that is holding me back a bit?

I am running:-  

i5-4690k

16 gb Memory

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti (4 gb)

I can get a ASUS R9-280 GPU fairly cheap, would upgrading to this GPU be worthwhile in your opinions? 

Thanks all

Hi thanks for the response - interesting to know that. The system seems fine on all other platforms, just those mentioned above. It may be that I am expecting to much from them? I would have hoped that at least the PS1 games would run fairly true to the originals, but changing the resolutions etc in Beetle PSX HW just crashes Retroarch. Might need to have a play around with it again later on.

for Gamecube and Wii stuff I would experiment with using the Vulkan video drivers and see if that helps you any I've seen performance improvements by using it instead of DX11 and if your using Demul for Dreamcast there are some settings that can be turned down to improve performance I think its the max layer setting under the video options.

Thanks for the help - what do you use for PS1? I have eboots, and run them through Retroarch. To be honest, every game so far seems to be very 'glitchy' graphics wise, or very poor quality resolution wise. I originally used Beetle PSX, but heard good things about Beetle PSX HW, so tried using that.

Sorry for the late reply - had a play around with the settings, managed to get Beetle PSX HW running pretty good - only tested a few games though. Interestingly, my settings seem to be completely different to Neil's - suppose it shows how each system differs computer to computer.