LaunchBox Community Forums

How are people handling different controllers in BigBox?

faeran

As my collection of retro USB controllers grows, I'm noticing that each one maps their keys slightly differently, which makes it extremely tough to have them all working with BigBox all at the same time, and seems to make it impossible to just plug and play them in BigBox.

I can't be the only one trying to use many different types of controllers in my setup. For the people that do, how are you handling this? 

This feels like an identical issue I saw a while back. Is also Enjoy it if we could map specific buttons for EACH individual controller plugged in to specific functions instead of just "button1, button 2, etc." because those buttons are different across several controller styles(SNES vs xbox360) it gets hard to remember which button does what for select game for instance. Could be start on the snes, but R3 on xbox360.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, damageinc86 said:

This feels like an identical issue I saw a while back. Is also Enjoy it if we could map specific buttons for EACH individual controller plugged in to specific functions instead of just "button1, button 2, etc." because those buttons are different across several controller styles(SNES vs xbox360) it gets hard to remember which button does what for select game for instance. Could be start on the snes, but R3 on xbox360.

This is true, which is what makes it impossible to switch between controllers within BigBox without constantly changing the controller button mappings. I guess BigBox would need to get some kind of controller profile system that could auto-detect which controller you are using and adjust accordingly.

The only solutions I can think of for this issue so far is to either:

1. Have a dedicated BigBox controller that only controls BigBox, then once you select a game, pick up the other controller to play.
  2. Create multiple installs of LaunchBox/BigBox. Each install will only have the systems that each controller is compatible with. So I would have a BigBox with only the NES platform for my NES controller, and an install for my SNES controller, etc...

Neither of these solutions are ideal to me. I'm hoping that there's something better out there.