LaunchBox Community Forums

Retroarch's MAME core not saving settings

TheMadMan007

I'm having a real issue with the MAME core in RetroArch, whenever I go to a game, it's not saving the general input settings. I setup two controllers and all the inputs I wanted, played a few mins of Turtles and then exited, then loaded it up again, and the settings for all the controls were not saved.

I tried this with several other games, mainly Brawler games as its the easiest to get into for testing, and it's basically not saving the settings I have for controllers. Sometimes UI select is the A button, sometimes it the L bumper, sometimes its the Y button. It's really strange, anyone have any idea why this is happening, and how to fix it?  I do have a MAME folder setup in my System folder in RetroArch, as I remember that was one of the requirements that I needed to get some stuff to work a year or two ago. 

Just for starters I do not use the Retroarch Mame core, I prefer the stand alone.

Now having said that I just tested out Mame and Street Fighter and changed my buttons to a mapping that works for me using the Mame "tab menu" like I would in stand alone Mame. It saved my controller mappings perfectly fine. Retroarch stores these controller configs along with the default.cfg in:

Retroarch\saves\MAME\mame\cfg

• 4 months later...

I'm having the exact same problem. don't know if you've fixed it or not. It looks to me like when I configure a rom in mame it only works for that rom, then when I play another rom, the buttons are all messed up.

Edited by RogerioX

When you load a game press Tab on your keyboard, it will bring up the "Mame Tab Menu"

Select Input (General) and map your controls in there, that will then be the default controller settings. Then when you want different controls for a specific game load up the game and press Tab and use the Input (this Machine) menu entry. These will be your per game controls using the Mame core.152331785_2018-07-1423_36_59-RetroArchMAME0_198.png.125fd62c8f00b15aeaecd7b0762d562a.png

Look. I sorted the controls for street fighter 2, right? 
fmy13gd.jpg

Now I open killer instinct and look at this.
4pZVC9U.jpg

It doesn't stop there. the actual ui buttons are all messed up. it's like a guessing game whenever i wanna play a new game to see what button is "select"

It's extremely unlikely Launchbox is the cause of it because Launchbox does nothing to interfere with the settings. Launchbox only tells RA to load and with what game and core, RA just calls the settings from its configs that you set unless you tell it to load a specific config using a custom command line in LB which it does not do by default.